3D Topo Program

The description pretty much says it all, I'm looking for software that will render topo and/or satellite images in 3D. So far the only thing I've found that looks close to what I'm trying to find is DeLORME's Topo USA. Obviously I'm looking for this for caching purposes. Can anyone else out there give me any suggestions for this kinda thing? Thanks

Google Earth has topography information in many areas so you can see the 3D terrain. You don't see contour lines; instead you see the satellite/aerial photos draped over the terrain. As you mentioned, DeLorme also has it with contour lines. Displaying waypoints on either of these is pretty straightforward.

The description pretty much says it all, I'm looking for software that will render topo and/or satellite images in 3D. So far the only thing I've found that looks close to what I'm trying to find is DeLORME's Topo USA. Obviously I'm looking for this for caching purposes. Can anyone else out there give me any suggestions for this kinda thing? Thanks

National Geographic's Topo! State Series will allow you to look at 3-D views of maps, with options for changing the elevation, tilt, and terrain exaggeration. It's somewhat pricey but has worked well for me for everything I want to do. I love the custom printed maps I've been creating.

...I guess Google earth will have to do. It's nice enough, I just wish you could eather exaggerate terrain or show the contour lines....

@DarkArchon:

You CAN exaggerate the terrain in Google Earth (v4):

Tools>>Options>>Elevation Exaggeration (0.5-3, default=1).

This makes the hills hillier, and the mountains mountainier. :unsure:

Also note that they recently added a "Terrain Quality" slider (Lower/Faster..Higher/Slower) that makes the displayed terrain more accurate (not the photos, but the 3D-ness of the terrain)

...now, if only they had customizable topo contour lines (that could be exported into a Garmin...)

-RenHoek

...now, if only they had customizable topo contour lines (that could be exported into a Garmin...)

To reply to my own post:

Take a look at these Google Earth addons:

3DSolar - http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/showflat.php?Number=52813

GPS Visualizer - http://www.gpsvisualizer.com/misc/kml_network_link.html

These are pretty good plugins for GE that automagically download the applicable topo maps of the current view (US only). Read the instructions on how to use them. GPS Visualizer requires a refresh each time you move locations/perspective. 3DSolar's plugin auto-refreshes after a brief pause (which in general is nice, but it can kinda be annoying if you're trying to move around to find a particular location)

Pump up the "terrain quality" and enjoy the free topographic goodness-

RenHoek