POI?

What is the use of POI data in a garmin. I have a Garmin Venture Cx and have 2gb card for it but what exactly can I load on it and how? I do not have any of the mapping software(no money yet) and I run all Mac at my house(not really interested in windows.) There is a Mac POI Loader out from Garmin but what do you load and how do you access it?

You would load custom lists and/or items that are of interest to you and are not necessarily included in the data you currently have. (which currently you have almost none).

This could be a list of all the Honda Dealers in the country. Or all the Starbucks. Or simply any list you wish to create.

The reason that these are useful is that they don't use up your Waypoints/Favorites and are only limited by the amount of memory you have for storage. Also, you can set proximity and speed alerts and can update, add and delete them whenever you want. You can also set up custom icons for the POIs using bmp and jpg files.

Also, on some units, they show up at when zoomed out further than Favorites or the built in POIs.

You might want to check out the POI Factory for more information.

http://www.poi-factory.com/

You can also use GPSBabel on the MAC to create a POI for every geocache that contains more information htan the waypoint holds.

I currently have the GC number in the name of my waypoints with the name of the cache in the comment section.

In the corresponding POI I have the difficulty, terrain, size and GC number in the name with the decoded hints in the comment section.