Map advice?

I currently use an eTrex Legend, M500 PDA, GSAK and Cachemate for caching. What I normally do now for mapping is to print out the Google maps from the GC cache page and make my own routes of caches in that area. Some of the problems in doing this is that these maps include previous finds and it's difficult to print maps in cache-congested areas.

While at GW5, I met other cachers with a variety of levels in maps and routing, etc. I'm becoming more interested in adding to my existing tools the ability to route a list of cache targets. Not sure if I want to use mapping software on the eTrex, go with something like GPS18 w/ nRoute, or upgrade to a GPS60CX or similar.

I don't have a laptop to use for caching, but that's an option as well. I wouldn't be opposed to using more flexible maps on the home PC and printing better map pages to bring along.

I would appreciate some advise (in lay terms) on how to proceed from here.

Since you are using GSAK, you could create a .gpx file around a cache centerpoint from your Default database that excludes your Finds. Then, open that in Google Earth. You could print that image.

As for GPSr choices, I would upgrade to one on which you can put the City Navigator maps. The new Legend HCx or Vista HCx that are coming out later this month would be excellent choices. I have a Vista C and prefer its smaller size to its more-expensive cousin the Map 60Cx/CSx.

Or, if you don't want to spend that much money, the color Legend C or Vista C can be purchased on eBay for less than $150 if you shop around.

You can load the City Navigator maps on those units.

If you want good Topo maps, the National Geographic ones have the best detail for printing.

I currently use an eTrex Legend, M500 PDA, GSAK and Cachemate for caching. What I normally do now for mapping is to print out the Google maps from the GC cache page and make my own routes of caches in that area. Some of the problems in doing this is that these maps include previous finds and it's difficult to print maps in cache-congested areas.

While at GW5, I met other cachers with a variety of levels in maps and routing, etc. I'm becoming more interested in adding to my existing tools the ability to route a list of cache targets. Not sure if I want to use mapping software on the eTrex, go with something like GPS18 w/ nRoute, or upgrade to a GPS60CX or similar.

I don't have a laptop to use for caching, but that's an option as well. I wouldn't be opposed to using more flexible maps on the home PC and printing better map pages to bring along.

I would appreciate some advise (in lay terms) on how to proceed from here.

I used to use a Legend and I used maps on it however the screen was so small that I always printed out cache maps using my map software. I used a code in GSAK to tell me the cache type, container type and terrain rating. This allowed me to easily see all the caches in the area and to decide which ones to head to next. You only need to print out a few pages and it makes a world of difference. :) Edited by TrailGators

My 2 cents worth...

If you are able to punk down about $300 there is the PDA/GPS option. In addition to a great GPS device you can surf the web, listen to music, store photos, read books, check e-mail,ect.

I have a Dell Axim Pocket PC PDA plus a GPS receiver that connects to the PDA via bluetooth.

For mapping software on the PDA, I have installed a $30.00 mapping program called Backcountry Navigator. With Backcountry Navigator, all the topo maps of the US are free and it handles geocaching files well for paperless caching.

I recommend a PDA that has a Pocket PC 2003, a Memory card slot and bluetooth. A Dell Axim X50, would be a good unit.

Used PDA: $150.00

Bluetooth Sirf III GPS: $75.00

Backcountry Navigator: $30.00

Memory Card: $20.00

Uh . . . I wouldn't get a $300.00 PDA for finding Geocaches. :)

Using one for the cache information, one you only get out of your pocket or your pack once in a while is fine, but those delicate electronics don't hold up to the rigors of Geocaching. :)

They are not waterproof and the battery life is not nearly as good as that of a GPSr like the Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista Cx, or the cream of the crop, the Map 60 CSx.

Uh . . . I wouldn't get a $300.00 PDA for finding Geocaches. :anitongue:

Using one for the cache information, one you only get out of your pocket or your pack once in a while is fine, but those delicate electronics don't hold up to the rigors of Geocaching. :P

They are not waterproof and the battery life is not nearly as good as that of a GPSr like the Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista Cx, or the cream of the crop, the Map 60 CSx.

Battery life is poor but you can get a charger for your car. They are fragile but if you are traveling and stopping for a few they are handy plus they hold a ton of caches. I got an iQue for about $200 off Ebay and that was with the maps. I use it as a Palm but I can use it in a pinch for caching. If you are hiking a lot then forget it. You want a rugged handheld. I don't know anyone that hasn't dropped their GPS once or twice. The eTrex series is being upgraded to all have the better SirfStarIII chips. I would wait and get one of those depending on your specific needs. I'm wondering when the new City Navigator is coming out....

Uh . . . I wouldn't get a $300.00 PDA for finding Geocaches...

...They are not waterproof and the battery life is not nearly as good as that of a GPSr like the Venture Cx, Legend Cx, Vista Cx, or the cream of the crop, the Map 60 CSx.

The PDA/GPS setup may not be for everybody but it is an other option.

The fragile issue of PDAs is way overblown. I use my PDA/GPS setup in all kinds of weather, in all kinds of terrain and not just for geocaching. I am a forester and use my setup for mapping at least a couple of times a week. The PDA has been dropped a few times with no ill effects. I do put the PDA in a ziplock baggie and have modified the original case to fit on my belt.

Battery life has not been a problem. I do use an extended battery, carry the original as a spare but so far have not needed it. The extended batttery would probably work for six or seven hours continously but its only been used for about 4 hours at a clip.

At my work we use Garmins, the latest being the GPSMAP 76CSx. I choose to use my personal PDA/GPS setup instead. We really need good topos and the Garmins are fairly weak in that area. With the mapping software, Backcountry Navigator, I am able to view 24K USGS topo maps and aerial photos (the maps and photos are free). Waypoints and tracks are easy to view and GPX files can be imported and exported.

Edited by rlridgeway