Ok just a noob with some important questions....

tw3nty3ight

Hello everyone, first of I'd like to thank you all for your awesome topics as they got me pumped and hooked on geocaching. I actually went out and bought a etrex legend today and found my first two caches!! I however am not really impressed with the legend and I am looking at getting the magellan 500 LE.

With that said here are my questions.

1. I noticed the legend only came with a serial cable and it will not work with my laptop, I am also under the impression garmin software will not work with vista... is this correct? In a perfect worl I am looking for a good setup around $200 that will use USB and work with Vista so I dont have to manually enter cache waypoints.

2. I see that the Magellan Xplorist 500 LE might have some issues with Vista but it is USB. Are there ways to get it to work with Vista? Also I hear it has geocaching menus is this correct?

3. Is there any alternatives to the 500 LE in the same price range that would meet my requirements above?

Thanks in advance and I apologize for the long read I just wanted to be detailed with my questions and concerns

tw3nty3ight

I've got a Legend C (not with expandable memory) and it has been wonderful thusfar. Waypoints are easy to download with a USB cable but I do have XP so that might be the one thing that stands in the way. Serial port... hmm... I think you can buy an adapter for the serial port to make it into a USB, would that help the situation. Entering waypoints manually is actually pretty easy if you want to keep what you've got. I'm sure if you want to get rid of it you can post it on the GPS Garage Sale Forum for another cacher to pick up. If you are looking to buy another one, Edge GPS Inc. on eBay always has numerous models for sale. I got my Legend C for $130 and the Cx's were selling for about 160 or so, and they are rated very highly. They offer excellent service on auctions or you can search and go directly to their webpage. Just throwing it out there. Continue caching! <_<

Welcome to the Forums! :(

I think you should check out the Garmin eTrex Venture Cx. You can get it for about $180.00. The maps for it will be additional, but so would maps for the Magellan.

If your budget is more limited, you might look at the discontinued Legend C or Vista C. I have the Vista C and have been very happy with it. On eBay, you might get one of those for less than $140.00.

All those Garmin units connect to your computer with USB. <_<

One alternative is to forget the Garmin software and use EasyGPS or GSAK both work fine with vista. You can get a USB to Serial cable for around $15. The legend is a fine rugged unit. Lots of caches have been found with it.

If you really want a newer USB unit - the Garmin Venture Cx is a great choice. Routable maps, color screen, expanable memory, rugged, great battery life. The City Nav maps are the best choice and work with Vista.

Hey Star, do you know if one of those other mapping programs other than the Garmin software will work with Legend C? I don't really want to dump more money into the more detailed mapping software if I can get it for free/cheap. Thanks!

S <_<

There is some technical and complicated way to get some other maps to work but the official and recommended bottom line is that only the Garmin maps work on Garmin units.