60CSx Compass/Pointer Analysis

After several months, my compass seems to start acting erratic. I just completed a three day caching trip and paid close attention to the compass, screen, and sequence of events. Here are my observations and was wondering if anyone else has noticed the same issue.

1. Compass behaved normally at the beginning of the trip. GPSr had NiMH rechargeable batteries which are only two months old and hardly been used. Batteries had been freshly charged.

2. On second day, batteries were depleted so changed to second set of rechargeable batteries. These batteries are about three years old but still seem to hold a charge well and work great in camera and flashlights. Within minutes of installing these batteries, the compass strated acting up.

3. Recalibrate and compass would work correctly for 10-15 minutes. This time wend down hill fast as the batteries were slowly drained. Within an hour, the compass was basically useless.

4. Would notice that the compass on indicator on the screen would dissappear. Press and hold the page button, would receive the message that compass is turned "OFF". Press again and the compass would come back on, but would not be in calibration.

5. Finally changed out the batteries for a set of slightly used alkaline. Compass still would not work properly, but after an initial test right after changing the batteries I just left it off.

6. Four days later, with the same alkaline batteries which now have about 10 hours use, checked the compass to get ready for some caching. After calibration, the compass is working perfectly. Still need to do some field test, but a quick check seemed to indicate all is okay.

I know that until recently, I have only used alkaline batteries. During all that time, the compass worked great. Only when I switched to NiMH rechargeable batteries have I started having problems.

For those that have had issues, are you using rechargeable batteries? Anyone else notice some of the above indications or have other?

Well, I never use rechargeable batteries as I always found they deplete very fast in GPS units but tend to work well in other electronic devices. I either use alkaline's or the lithiums and have had very good luck with them and no compass problems on my 60CSx.

Although there is a setting for what type of batteries you are using in the setup screen, this is only for providing an accurate battery power reading as far as I know.

Other than that, I really have no ideas :rolleyes: