Topo Map Roads

AlSi

We are taking a trip to Colorado in two weeks. I am trying to determine which topo software to buy.

Do any of the software topo maps help to differentiate whether or not a trail or road is two or four wheel drive?

Thanks

Alan

Edited by AlSi

Delorme Topo USA 6 distinguishes between foot trails, 4WD, and unimproved roads--although to my eye, the distinctions are subtle. Here's a part of the legend that shows the trail/4wd lines. These would all allow for trail autorouting.

T6Legend.jpg

The topo/street color columns are two available color sets that emphasize either topo or street features.

It looks to me like National Geographic Topo! handles it by writing "4WD" alongside trail designations. Their legend states that unclassified broken lines are foot trails.

Bear in mind that with something like 4wd roads and trails, nothing is going to be complete or comprehensive. Delorme had about the best trail data I've encountered, but I'm afraid that as a hiker I don't keep that close an eye on the 4wd stuff.

The Delorme forums also maintains a user library of uploaded tracks relating to these things...might be worth a look. NG does a similar thing, too.