Verrry quick MKE airport - Spring Grove IL run

globalgirl

I'm making a verrrrry quick run to visit family in northern Illinois (Spring Grove/McHenry vicinity) and - am flying into Milwaukee airport this Saturday (6/16) and out just 2 days later on the afternoon of Monday (6/18).

So... I'll have just a few hours enroute from/to the airport (mainly along route 94?) to grab a few boxes. Just wondering if anybody can advise of any "NOT TO BE MISSED!" caches along the way.

I'll likely only have time to do at most a dozen in all, or... if there's just 1 or 2 caches that are SPECTACULAR that I might reach within an hour or so of the airport - that'd be great. I realize I'm asking for the moon here, but if any of you kindly midwest folks have any tips on truly excellent caches in the area - I'd much appreciate a heads-up.

Thanks!

P.S. I've already done the IL A.P.E. - luckily just last year before it was archived!

A little bit out of your way, but I'd recommend Beverly (GC28)

Yes, GC28....the 2nd oldest active cache in the world...hidden 5/13/2000

Goodness - fully 15 days older than Washington State's oldest (Mountain Marsh GC8) (and we're - here in Seattle - but a couple hours from the Original Stash!) Very impressive - thanks for the tip. And the good news is - it's only 31 miles south of my Bro's place in Spring Grove!

Any others - ingenious cammoes? clever containers? exceptional multis? outstanding (but not masochistic) puzzles?

Edited by globalgirl

Yippeee! I've been doing my geohomework here this morning and...

I just found - no less than THREE Earthcaches w/in 10 miles of my brother's place! That sets me up to move from a Bronze Earthcache Master to Silver (i.e. 6 earthcaches in 3 states - just need to devise my own earthcache) - yea!

Still... would love to hear from anybody with suggestions for extra fine cammo caches, etc...

Along the way is a very genious cache: @#&% Baldwin !!

It is well worth the stop :D

Woa! NOW we're talkin'! Thanks so much Kerstin76 - that surely looks like a winner plus... It's verily on my route down 94 and there seems to be tons of good cammo, etc. caches in that park. Shoot, I just spent an hour checking out all the nearbys.

Yes indeed, looks like I found my "geonirvana" spot - leastwise for but a 2 days on the ground run.

btw, I also Terracache and... there's a locationless TC that, uh, you get a pic of a BLUE-EYED cicada! Good grief. Ah but I remember the cicadas from my youth, and apparently the midwest is presently inundated w/ the little buggers, yes? Plus... I found a map where they're showing up in droves, and one area is the Villa Park/Lombard area - precisely where I grew up, and very near where I'll be visiting w/ family.

In any case - thanks sooooo much for the great cache tip. If you or any of your geocompatriots ever get out this way (Seattle) - I'd be happy to return the favor and point you to the best here in the Emerald City (not to mention the ONLY A.P.E. left in North America!)

Along the way is a very genious cache: @#&% Baldwin !!

It is well worth the stop :)

Woa! NOW we're talkin'! Thanks so much Kerstin76 - that surely looks like a winner plus... It's verily on my route down 94 and there seems to be tons of good cammo, etc. caches in that park. Shoot, I just spent an hour checking out all the nearbys.

There is WSQ: Helmont Kellogg that is a nice stop and usually has a few TB's to exchange. Not many revolutionary war vets made it this far west.

Oh yes...definitely do Baldwin!

And if you are doing the earthcaches, make sure you read the requirements carefully, its a long trip back :)

There is WSQ: Helmont Kellogg that is a nice stop and usually has a few TB's to exchange. Not many revolutionary war vets made it this far west.

Oh yes...definitely do Baldwin!

And if you are doing the earthcaches, make sure you read the requirements carefully, its a long trip back :)

Thanks, I just printed out the Helmont Kellogg. Dunno if it will qualify, but... as I said, I also do Terracaching and... I know there's a locationless for a grave of a confederate soldier (not an official military site, but in a private cemetery). Given that few of those ever made it out west this far - any chance you know of such in that vicinity?

In any case, there might also be a locationless for a revolutionary war veteran, so Helmont might make this good both for gc.com and tc.com.

Thanks again all - I'm beginning to get in deeeeeeeep trouble. I arrive at 1 pm at MKE on Saturday, pick up a rental car and... may never make to my Bro's place in Spring Grove, IL til SUNDAY! :)