How to search for archived caches?

scavok

I searched but just couldn't find a "click here and check this box" type of post. How do I run a query to pull up nearby archived caches, not just disabled ones?

Thanks!

You can't. Archived caches are assumed to be gone, and allowing you to download old caches might lead to you trying to go find one.

This is only an issue if a cache was placed in a place where someone asked for it to be removed. For instance, if someone placed a cache on private property without realizing it, it was approved, and then the land owner contacted the web site and asked for it to be removed.

They wouldn't want you going back to that spot later - against the land owner's wishes. They would prefer that once the land owner asks for no more cachers to come looking, that it stop as soon as possible.

Since you are a Premium Member, you can use the GC.com map and the "Identify" and "Archived" options.

If you know the general area where an Archived cache was, you can use that map to pull up the cache page. Sometimes a Note will explain why the cache was Archived. Sometimes there won't be any explanation.

As Mushtang states, some Archived caches were placed in areas where cachers should not go.

Why??

The only real good reason is to see areas that you should avoid placing a cache at - because a previous one did not survive.

The fact is (without mentioning names) I know that some cachers around me archived a bunch of their listings but don't pick up their containers. I know I can see their listed caches in their profiles but I just started wondering how many other cachers just leave their geolitter around and wanted to be able to search them out.

I have some common sense and know the rules, I just didn't think that archived caches would be intentionally hidden...