I have a dream

Gavin Gough

I'm very new to geocaching (first caches found yesterday!) and hope I can get some advice. I purchased a Garmin eTrex Vista cx and like what I've been able to do with it so far. However, I'm struggling to get to grips with the mapping options available and so would appreciate any pointers.

I've looked at Memory Maps and have downloaded their trial Landranger and Explorer maps. These seem excellent (although they don't offer Mac versions so I've had to steal my girlfriend's PC laptop to try them out) and I can see how I could plot waymarks and routes and then transfer these to my Garmin. However, unless I've missed something, it doesn't seem possible to get even partial segments of the OS maps onto my device from Memory Maps.

I've also looked at Garmin's own TOPO maps but these don't seem to offer nearly as much detail as the OS maps.

I had hoped to be able to plan a route at home and then download waymarks and a relevant map onto my GPS unit. I thought I might be able to view topographical info on the GPS unit, seeing footpaths, contour lines, landmarks, etc. There's no way for me to download a map with as much detail as a standard OS map though, right?

My question is, what mapping software is going to offer me the most detail on my Garmin screen? Also, if I can't download detailed maps, is it possible to scan a map and then transfer detail onto my GPS unit?

Any help or advice gratefully received.

Gavin Gough

Further research into my mapping question revealed a forum thread on Pocket GPS World.

If I've understood it correctly, the Mapsource TOPO maps won't include anywhere near the detail of a 1:25,000 OS map because:

1. The OS licensing restricts the availability of certain details, including footpaths

2. The vector based mapping isn't yet available for footpaths.

The Memory Map and Fugawi maps that show the same level of detail as an OS paper map employ raster graphics and so won't transfer to a GPS unit that typically will use vector graphics (which use a lot less memory). There are also copyright implications of transferring OS data outside of the software it was purchased for.

I think my conclusion is that the TOPO maps, although lacking in a lot of detail, are the best mapping option currently available for Garmin GPS units. I guess if I can install the TOPO maps on my Garmin to give me some mapping info and use Memory Map software to create waypoints and routes on my PC which I then upload to the Vista and use with the TOPO mapping.

Amazon offer the TOPO map for £99.99. Anyone seen it for less?

I'd still be interested in knowing if it's possible to scan a paper OS map and then transfer it to my Vista. Obviously it would require quite a bit of memory and would need to be calibrated in some way but perhaps there'a a way...?

You are basically stuck with the proprietary Garmin maps for you unit. All GPS mfrs. require that you use their proprietary maps.

There is a way to get other maps onto your unit, but it takes a good deal of time and technical know how. Unless you have advanced technical skills, the Garmin maps are the only way to go.

Garmin topo's detail isn't great, but it's detailed enough to be useful.

It IS posible to upload maps to your VISTA CX reasonably easily.

I have this unit and limited tech'o knowledge of GPS and an average PC knowledge.

I have downloaded several FREE maps such as shonkylogic and Tracks4Australia, as well as free Aussie topos and have them installed to my VISTA CX with 2gb memory card.

It works well, Ive done over 40Thousand Km with this unit, mostly on my motorbike or in my car, and some in an ultralight plane.

Each time I install more maps or update them I use the original garmin MAPSOURCE software that came with the unit, open several windows and in each window I open the maps I want, then I copy paste them to the one window.

There is a help file in mapsource that basically explains it, there is also other GPS dedicated forums (GPS AUSTRALIA is a good one) where they will assist you with this quest. (sorry its too hard for me to explain, I just manage to do it)

Overall the VISTA CX has been a great little unit other than the rubber issues (see my signature below)

Sorry I cant be of more assistance.