PDA Geocaching

HEY!,

I have been geocaching for around 1 1/2- 2 1/2 months. I have geocached with my mom and her boyfriend. They use the phone technique and also use a GPS. After talking to my dad about geocaching he sound pretty interested. Now at my dad's house we use verizon so we can not use the phone technique, and can't buy a GPS. He does have a Dell Axim X50v (a PDA). It has Dell Navigation System. We looked at it and there is no way to put longitude latitude in it (even in way points). Now I don't know what to do, so can u plz reply if u know or use anything that might be helpful. THX

longjohnryan177

If you live in the US and could plunk down about a hundred bucks, there is a dandy solution.

A high sensitivity GPS receiver for the PDA can be had for about $75.00.

An additional $30.00 you can pick up Backcountry Navigator, a very good GPS software program which among other things, gets you all the 24K topo maps of the US for free.

Backcountry Navigator handles geocaching files quite nicely and allows for paperless caching.

GPS receivers can be purchased at www.buygpsnow.com

For more info on Backcountry Navigator go to www.backcountrynavigator.com

I am not familar with the Dell pda, but if it is running either the Palm or Windows mobile operating systems then your best and most cost effective solution would be paying $8 for Cachemate. I have used it on my pda to find caches when a FTF opportunity arises and I haven't my garmin with me. It works quite well, but is not as rugged, therefore I take great care while wandering the woods with it. Cachemate is great for insuring that you have all of the nearby caches at you finger tips. The software works equally well with a bluetooth gps or an internal gps. The only thing that you would lack is mapping. Oh well, what do you want for eight bucks.