Help please!

Flanimals

Hi there, I am going to order a gps today, we are completely new to Geocaching and want a decent gps but not sure which to choose. We have read up online yet still unsure of which machine to buy. We have looked at the Garmin machines but dont know which to choose - can anyone help? We want a middle of the road machine that will do the job and interest the children, so possibly with maps. Can anyone recommend a model? Etrex Vista, Legand, Gpsmap60c? Which is the best model in the £100-£200 bracket please?

(we need to order today as this is also a birthday present for my husband!)

TIA

I would recommend the eTrex Venture CX over any of the ones you mentioned. The Map 60C has been discontinued for over 2 years and the Vista and Legend are older units with older technology.

The Venture CX is a newer unit with a color display, expandable map memory and autorouting (turn by turn driving directions). It is about the same price as the Vista and a far, far better unit.

You can use the Venture CX out of the box as is, or add map memory and maps to take advantage of the autorouting feature. It's a unit that you will not outgrow for a long time.

The Venture may be the best value out there right now in a new unit, particularly if you own a digicam or MP3 player that came with a mini USB cable and if you already own the memory cards. If you're just starting out, definitely look at used, as well.

I recently purchased a 60CSX (decided to treat myself), and one of the things I really like about it is that I can leave it between the seats in the car and it still has solid reception. It is also superior under a heavy canopy. My old one had to see sky to maintain a reliable lock. Don't know about the Venture's sensitivity in comparison.

Good luck.

he Venture may be the best value out there right now in a new unit, particularly if you own a digicam or MP3 player that came with a mini USB cable and if you already own the memory cards.

I'm sure Skysensor means the Venture CX. Garmin also has a Venture and it's a totally different animal. The Venture CX is a great value. The Venture is an older unit in the vein of the Legend and basic eTrex.

he Venture may be the best value out there right now in a new unit, particularly if you own a digicam or MP3 player that came with a mini USB cable and if you already own the memory cards.

I'm sure Skysensor means the Venture CX. Garmin also has a Venture and it's a totally different animal. The Venture CX is a great value. The Venture is an older unit in the vein of the Legend and basic eTrex.

Yeah. What briansnat said...

(I meant the currently available Venture CX).