Holding onto a bug

shacker23

I retrieved a travel bug from a cache recently because I'm planning a trip later this summer in the direction the bug wants to go, and thought I could give it a big bump toward its destination (1500 miles closer). But after I retrieved it, I questioned whether I should have retrieved it, because I won't be leaving for three months. Is that too long to hold onto a bug? Is this bad etiquette? Maybe I should drop it in another cache so I'm not "hogging" it. What's considered best practice in this situation? Thanks.

That is a long time to hold a bug, however, you could email the bug owner and ask them if they mind if you keep it that long.

If it was my bug, I would ask you to let it go. It might have some interesting experiences in those three months going from cache to cache. :rolleyes:

That is a long time to hold a bug, however, you could email the bug owner and ask them if they mind if you keep it that long.

If it was my bug, I would ask you to let it go. It might have some interesting experiences in those three months going from cache to cache. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I did write the owner, but haven't gotten any response, so thought I would ask here. I'll wait a week to hear from him and then drop it elsewhere if I don't hear back. Thanks.

I'm holding one for about that long but the owner's specifically asked me to do so. They want their bug to return to them in Hawaii and a friend is going there in July. I said I'd hold it if they wanted but, since it was so far away, I'd be happy to simply move it along to another cache. They responded and asked me to hold it and send it along in July so that's what I'm doing. Without specific instructions from the owner's though I would never hold a bug that long.

I retrieved a travel bug from a cache recently because I'm planning a trip later this summer in the direction the bug wants to go, and thought I could give it a big bump toward its destination (1500 miles closer). But after I retrieved it, I questioned whether I should have retrieved it, because I won't be leaving for three months. Is that too long to hold onto a bug? Is this bad etiquette? Maybe I should drop it in another cache so I'm not "hogging" it. What's considered best practice in this situation? Thanks.

I picked up a TB that wanted to go to Ireland.

I contacted the owner and let them know that I would be going to Ireland later in the year and asked if they wanted me to hang on to it on drop off.

They replied with 'Hang on to it'.

So, what I do is I log it in & out of caches that I visit to add to the milage.

That's cool. The people who picked up one of my first TBs were on a roadtrip and that is what they did. My little "Mr. Moolight McToy" got to go a lot of places before they finally released him.

He has since gone missing . . . along with the cache he was in . . . :sunsure:

If it was my bug, I would ask you to let it go. It might have some interesting experiences in those three months going from cache to cache. :sunsure:

Yeah, I did write the owner, but haven't gotten any response, so thought I would ask here. I'll wait a week to hear from him and then drop it elsewhere if I don't hear back. Thanks.

I would just hang on to it until you hear back from the owner. I bet he'd like the fact that you would be moving it closer to it's destination.