NG Topo Not seeing my GPS

SO My laptop doesnt have the Serial port that the Garmin VIsta needs to connect to a PC. I went out and got a converter, so i could connect it to live track in National Geographic Topo. THe COnnector is a USB to the 9-pin Serial port. I tell NG Topo to test the connection for COM port 3 with a Baud rate of 9600 it says "No Response. Check connection and restart GPS." WHen I test on the USB it says "could not establish USB connection to Device." Help me please. Im getting frustrated. THe only COM port that gives a search is COM port 3, All the others just automatically give the message.

SO My laptop doesnt have the Serial port that the Garmin VIsta needs to connect to a PC. I went out and got a converter, so i could connect it to live track in National Geographic Topo. THe COnnector is a USB to the 9-pin Serial port. I tell NG Topo to test the connection for COM port 3 with a Baud rate of 9600 it says "No Response. Check connection and restart GPS." WHen I test on the USB it says "could not establish USB connection to Device." Help me please. Im getting frustrated. THe only COM port that gives a search is COM port 3, All the others just automatically give the message.

Did you load the drivers for the comm port adapter? Not sure - but likely the comm-3 showing up is your modem.

Did you load the drivers for the comm port adapter? Not sure - but likely the comm-3 showing up is your modem.

I did Load the Drivers. I am running on a Wireless Network, on Broadband. WOuld I have a modem?

I did Load the Drivers. I am running on a Wireless Network, on Broadband. WOuld I have a modem?

Well - you didn't specify if you had a modem or not. Since I can't see your computer, it was just a guess.

The drivers are just the first step - there is more to it, but it was a good base-line to start from.

Some of the adapters have a problem meeting the RS-standard. There is a list of which ones work and which ones don't - I have that somewhere in this computer.....

But obviously - you need someone way smarter than me to help you. My adapter works - so I don't have any experience with ones that do not work. I will back out here and let you wait for someone more qualified.

Someone who doesn't start by asking the simple questions.

Well - you didn't specify if you had a modem or not. Since I can't see your computer, it was just a guess.

The drivers are just the first step - there is more to it, but it was a good base-line to start from.

Some of the adapters have a problem meeting the RS-standard. There is a list of which ones work and which ones don't - I have that somewhere in this computer.....

But obviously - you need someone way smarter than me to help you. My adapter works - so I don't have any experience with ones that do not work. I will back out here and let you wait for someone more qualified.

Someone who doesn't start by asking the simple questions.

I got it to work. Just took a Little fiddiling and Using EasyGPS to tell me which port it used.