UK Map Datums and latest maps

G'Day Old Sod! Only 47 - looks like you had a hard paper round judging by your profile! :P

Thought we'd reply especially as we'll be living in Sydney from November, and can't wait to go caching in the Blue Mountains!

Over here, we tend to use Ordnance Survey maps, which can be purchased from many bookshops, outdoor stores, or some local newsagents such as WHSmiths. They come as either 1:25000 (Explorer series) or 1:50000 (Landranger series) and should be the latest versions. Personally I find 1:50000 clearer for general map reading.

You can also access Ordance Survey maps on line here and use the "get-a-map" feature.

For plotting caches on paper maps you'll need to use British National Grid, which is stated on the cache pages underneath the co-ordinates.

However, if it's digital mapping you're after for a PDA etc., there are several programs around that are based on Ordnance Survey maps, perhaps the most popular being Memory Map (which I'm sure someone could lend to you during your stay if you wanted).

For your GPS, the datum should be set to WGS84 when using lat/long co-ordinates. When using British National Grid (OS Grid) format on a GPS the datum should be set to OSGB, but I'd suggest only using OS Grid for plotting caches on the map.

Hope this helps?