Problems with Garmin Vista

I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista a month ago, and sometimes I'll be tracking a cache and it will randomly just shut off.

Sometimes the contacts can lose contact with the batteries and the unit can power off. I find that some brands are a little shorter and some longer. I have to use tight-fitting energizer nimh on my cachebike to keep the vibration from shuttng it down. There are useful sites out there for vibration cutoff techniques, but I don't know them off the top of my head.

I've had a total of four Vistas, each one developed either the shut off problem or lines through the display a few months after receiving them. The first one I purchased new, the other three were warranty replacement units from Garmin (One remanufactured and two band new ones). After the last one failed they offered to send me a brans new Vista CX at no additonal charge. Knock on wood, but it has worked great since I got it.

According to what Garmin Tech support told me, several times, the shut off issue goes deeper than loose connections on different sized batteries . According to Garmin the real issue is the connection between the battery housing and the PC board.

My suggestion is to contact Garmin and have your unit replaced. Hopefully they have corrected the issue by now.

I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista a month ago, and sometimes I'll be tracking a cache and it will randomly just shut off. Even with a fully charged battery. Its only done it a few times, but still annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

i have had that problem, and also the altitude displaying 65516 feet. both bother me alot, and i plan to call garmin soon to get a new unit.

I bought a Garmin eTrex Vista a month ago, and sometimes I'll be tracking a cache and it will randomly just shut off. Even with a fully charged battery. Its only done it a few times, but still annoying. Has anyone else had this problem?

i have had that problem, and also the altitude displaying 65516 feet. both bother me alot, and i plan to call garmin soon to get a new unit.

You need to calibrate your altimeter frequently.