Palm Z22

Mazingerzz

We have used a Z22 for nearly a year now and like it a lot. We have literally thousands of cache pages stored in Cachemate. The only caveat that I would mention is that it can be a bit hard to read in direct sunlight, but this can be overcome to a great extent by adjusting the brightness and contrast.

Just finished setting up paperless with a Z22 and cachemate and gsak. It took a weekend to get it up and up to speed but it is just great. Agree about the screen in sunlight, but there is liitle else out there with the capacity of the Z22 new for $100. You can't upgrade memory in it but it will store more caches using cachemate than your brain will want to remember. Be sure to be consistant with usernames when setting your system up ie case sensitive. One little d rather than one big D caused me to have to wait a few days before I got another registration code from cachemate. Haven't figured out how to not print maps as I go out. The gps maps are small, because of screen size and I am not sure if or what programs would handle maps on the z22. So I scout out my search and print a single page map I can see and read with all the caches for the day.

Haven't figured out how to not print maps as I go out. The gps maps are small, because of screen size and I am not sure if or what programs would handle maps on the z22.

I put them into PDF files and view them with PalmPDF. You could also use the image viewer (Media) that comes with Palm OS.

The Z22 works fine for the application. It is smaller than many, and you'll learn what you have to do to read it in bright sunlight. I bought a refurbed unit for $49.99 plus S/H from outpost.com, and haven't had a problem. My only warning: you may want to hold off on *any* Palm device if you're using a Vista machine. Palm Hotsync still doesn't support syncing 3rd party apps through Vista. If you're using XP (or earlier), no problems. Good luck.

I am running Vista and while its true that there are problems with transferring .pdb and .prc files, there are workarounds for them. I have been using Vista with my palm for several months now.

Are you using it with a Z22? The Vista/Palm workarounds don't apply to the Z22, because the only interface available (on the Z22) is USB: no card slot, no wireless. I can't get my Vista PC to recognize the Palm via USB. I was very disappointed to discover that my newly purchased Z22 wouldn't work as desired with my brand new Vista laptop. Had to set-up with the older XP machine. Again, I think the Z22 is a fine choice for use with apps like CacheMate, but be aware that it is not going to work as expected with a Vista machine.

Yes, as I mentioned in an earlier post, I am using a Z22 and a Sony Vaio laptop running Windows Vista. The easiest way that most people have gotten it to work is by right clicking the palm desktop icon and choosing the 'run as administrator' option. If that doesn't work, there are a couple of other workarounds that are available, feel free to email me and I will tell you what they are. Good luck and happy caching - Gary