entering the waypoint on etrex vista

sctgrace3

A silly beginner question... Embarressed to ask but frustrated enough to do it...

I have an etrex vista that I bought on ebay. When I try to enter the cordinates of a cache from this site, the format on my GPS looks to be in UTM, but it is slightly different than the coordinates. The instruction manual has examples in the latitude/longitude format, but the GPS shows:

17T LE 38518

mgrs 44587

From what I have read, the first line looks like a partial UTM address, and the second line looks like the military grid system.

I am trying to enter the cordinates 17T E 385152 N 445873 ( I also have the cordinates in the LL format, but was trying to use the UTM because I was told it was better for geocaching).

Anyway, how do I get the coordinates entered? Is there a way to change to UTM mode? If not:

1. Why does the "L" show? Can I (should I) get rid of it?

2. The "first (E)" cordinates have 6 digits, but I can only seem to enter 5

3. I can't figure out where to "second (N)" coordinates, because it seems to enter it on the MGRS part.

Help? I'm lost...

Thanks

MainMenu-Setup-Units-PositionFormat-hddd mm.mmm

I'm not sure what format that is, but you might as well switch to this mmm format 'cause it's what most cachers use in their webpages when listing parking and trailhead coords. For accuracy, it don't matter which format you use as long as you use the right datum, WGS84 in this case.

MainMenu-Setup-Units-PositionFormat-hddd mm.mmm

I'm not sure what format that is, but you might as well switch to this mmm format 'cause it's what most cachers use in their webpages when listing parking and trailhead coords. For accuracy, it don't matter which format you use as long as you use the right datum, WGS84 in this case.

Thanks. I did make the change, and entered the coordinates in that format. However, where did the WGS84 come from?

Thanks. I did make the change, and entered the coordinates in that format. However, where did the WGS84 come from?

At the bottom of every Cache Page: Coordinates are in the WGS84 datum

If you use the wrong Datum you could easily be off over 200 feet.

And now that you have the correct coords in the GPS under the hddmm.mmm format you could change the GPS display back to UTM and view the UTM equivalent of those coords.

A silly beginner question... Embarressed to ask but frustrated enough to do it...

I have an etrex vista that I bought on ebay. When I try to enter the cordinates of a cache from this site, the format on my GPS looks to be in UTM, but it is slightly different than the coordinates. The instruction manual has examples in the latitude/longitude format, but the GPS shows:

17T LE 38518

mgrs 44587

From what I have read, the first line looks like a partial UTM address, and the second line looks like the military grid system.

I am trying to enter the cordinates 17T E 385152 N 445873 ( I also have the cordinates in the LL format, but was trying to use the UTM because I was told it was better for geocaching).

Anyway, how do I get the coordinates entered? Is there a way to change to UTM mode? If not:

1. Why does the "L" show? Can I (should I) get rid of it?

2. The "first (E)" cordinates have 6 digits, but I can only seem to enter 5

3. I can't figure out where to "second (N)" coordinates, because it seems to enter it on the MGRS part.

Help? I'm lost...

Thanks

On the main menu select SETUP, then select UNITS, and in the POSITION FORMAT, select Hddd mm.mmm

Under MAP DATUM select WGS84

Exit from that screen any you can now enter co'ords in the usual format (ie: S 24 42.923 E 152 16.551)

Enjoy :D:ph34r::P