Geocaching on the East Coast Trail

Kaysp

oh fun! just what I was looking for! I'll be leaving for the East Coast trail within two weeks or earlier... for inner-self personal reasons, i've decided it was something I needed to do. I am geared toward the entire developed portion of the trail which I believe is over 300Km's but under 400, but it still extends far beyond that, I figure I will be doing a lot of roughing in the bush and I will be gone for some time so survival is very big on my list, so I'm studying survival guides etc, on snares, gathering water from local sources etc.

I think that alot of the caches will help me mentally on my travels and keep me going.

I figure that since I will be out for about a month (two months round trip) It is pretty pointless to pack much that I can otherwise get in the trails.. small game, water, shelter etc.. yea, good old basic army survival. I suppose it would be natural instinct from modern living that I would want to bring all that I can that are not really necessities, after all, the pioneers and natives didn't have such luxeries that we call necessities.

I guess I will pack what I can as if I was going out for only a couple days, to ease the psychological transition, plus I could always refuel if absolutly needed.

I just need that ECTA TOPO guide. I can't seem to find it in St. John's.

the ECT is great. i walked from st john's to witless bay a couple summers ago (would've gone longer but had to get to a wedding). hangin out around the spout and watching the eagles and whales was one of the cooler hiking experiences i've had. this was well before i got into caching so i didn't look for any along the way.

newfoundland should be a unesco world heritage site just for the people alone. super friendly, but don't let them screech you.