What obstacles will I have?

I have no experience with Linux. I've used and will recommend EasyGPS to manage your waypoints and download into your GPS. You can always enter the waypoints manually.

The Quest can run on a battery, right? I don't know if it has a compass page so you can follow an arrow. I think you can. You just have to handle your Quest carefully 'cause it's not as sturdy as the handhelds that are designed to take some falls.

I have no experience with Linux. I've used and will recommend EasyGPS to manage your waypoints and download into your GPS. You can always enter the waypoints manually.

The Quest can run on a battery, right? I don't know if it has a compass page so you can follow an arrow. I think you can. You just have to handle your Quest carefully 'cause it's not as sturdy as the handhelds that are designed to take some falls.

The Quest can in fact run on battery power. The problem is that I just dont have any idea how to input coordinates rather than an address or intersection. Thats why I wonder if the option is just not there. That would mean that I would have to find a way to download the waypoints and then transfer it into my GPS.

Mary

The Quest will run for up to 20 hours on its LiIon built-in battery. It is easy to enter waypoints, as long as you understand the they are called "locations" on the Quest. Just push and hold the enter button. A new "location" will be created at spot of the most recent fix, and an editable page will be displayed for the new location (waypoint). Highlight and edit the coordinates, symbol, name, etc. to create a waypoint for a cache or other type of "location." You can also create a new waypoint by using the rocker pad to move the arrow to a spot near or at the desired "location." Then press, don't hold the enter button, then follow the steps above to edit the page. The coordinates will be easier to edit as they will be close to the desired numbers to start with. Fast and easy. To recall a waypoint, press find, select "my locations" or "recent," and select the waypoint from the list. Fast and easy.

In the off road routing mode, an arrow pointer page is displayed along with the distance. Do not be put off by the fact that the distance is rounded. As you get closer to the destination, the distance displayed becomes ever more precise, eventually down to one foot.

As for durability, I do not know of any GPSr that is designed to be dropped. The Quest is small, light, compact, and waterproof. Use a screen protector on all units, and a wrist strap. An external antenna greatly improves the Quest's reception, allows the built-in antenna to be folded down flat, and provides an additional protection against accidental droppage. No need for special concern about durability.

The Quest is an outstanding, underrated dual-use GPSr at a remarkably low price, considering all that comes in the package.

The Quest will run for up to 20 hours on its LiIon built-in battery. It is easy to enter waypoints, as long as you understand the they are called "locations" on the Quest. Just push and hold the enter button. A new "location" will be created at spot of the most recent fix, and an editable page will be displayed for the new location (waypoint). Highlight and edit the coordinates, symbol, name, etc. to create a waypoint for a cache or other type of "location." You can also create a new waypoint by using the rocker pad to move the arrow to a spot near or at the desired "location." Then press, don't hold the enter button, then follow the steps above to edit the page. The coordinates will be easier to edit as they will be close to the desired numbers to start with. Fast and easy. To recall a waypoint, press find, select "my locations" or "recent," and select the waypoint from the list. Fast and easy.

In the off road routing mode, an arrow pointer page is displayed along with the distance. Do not be put off by the fact that the distance is rounded. As you get closer to the destination, the distance displayed becomes ever more precise, eventually down to one foot.

As for durability, I do not know of any GPSr that is designed to be dropped. The Quest is small, light, compact, and waterproof. Use a screen protector on all units, and a wrist strap. An external antenna greatly improves the Quest's reception, allows the built-in antenna to be folded down flat, and provides an additional protection against accidental droppage. No need for special concern about durability.

The Quest is an outstanding, underrated dual-use GPSr at a remarkably low price, considering all that comes in the package.

Question is that when I clicked on an area of the map and held the enter key down, I got it showing me the coordinates but it would not let me highlight the "Current Location" so I could edit the coordinates in that field.

I gotta take out my manual and look into the offroad routing option as well. Thanks for all the tips though. I had a feeling that the Quest had to have some other use other than not getting me lost in East LA or South Central. :ph34r:

Now all I have to do is find a GPS program for this that works on Ubuntu.

Mary

If the Quest is similar to some of the other dash products I have used (StreetPilots 2610 and 2720), you press the 'enter' key once while panning in the map to bring up a window that gives you the option to save that location. Save it and then edit the location to suit you. To enter the coords manually, just press and hold the 'enter' key while in normal map view - may not work while panning. I'm pretty sure you can also go into 'find' to get to a screen to enter coords manuall.

I highly recommend you invest in a carrying case for your Quest. I guarantee you will drop it one of these days. Check Gilsson's model. I have two for my 60cs. The neoprene material is great as it practically bounces right back up to you :ph34r: . Okay I'm exaggerating a bit, but the material is very spongy and I am convinced it has increase the longevity of my GPS tenfold.

qn_composite.jpg

I used my Quest as a geocaching GPS before I got my 60Csx. I also highly recommend that case. It looks kind of dumb on it, but if it protects your $400 investment, it's well worth it.

Like said above, there isn't as easy a way to get to the coordinate entering screen, and there is no compass, but it does work very well and will get you to the caches. As a bonus you can use it in your car for auto routing.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that the reception is not "as good" as the other handhelds but it is still decent as long as you have the antenna running straight up.

Enjoy caching with your quest!

I just looked at my Quest and noticed that there is no place to attach a wrist strap. I have and use the pictured neoprene case. Creating and editing waypoints (locations) is fast and easy as I described, except I did leave out the fact that you must press the OK button again after holding it in to create a waypoint at your current location. The second press saves it and displays the location page ready for editing. When using the other method, moving to a different spot using the rocker pad, then pressing (briefly) the OK button, a location page is displayed ready for editing. When finished, press the Page button or select and press OK.

I used my Quest as a geocaching GPS before I got my 60Csx. I also highly recommend that case. It looks kind of dumb on it, but if it protects your $400 investment, it's well worth it.

Like said above, there isn't as easy a way to get to the coordinate entering screen, and there is no compass, but it does work very well and will get you to the caches. As a bonus you can use it in your car for auto routing.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that the reception is not "as good" as the other handhelds but it is still decent as long as you have the antenna running straight up.

Enjoy caching with your quest!

*nods*

Well I did look at it but I still cant find a way to go to a location, press enter down and then edit the coordinates field to the coordinates that the cache is located in. I did look through my whole manual and there is nothing there.

Hmm.....well at least I got it to sych up on my Linux box.

I powered up my Quest again to see if I was skipping a step in my directions. I did not describe the editing process. Once you call up a location page by either method I described previously, you will have an editable page with the block in the bottom right corner of the page highlighted, either Route To, if you used the rocker pad and pressed OK, or OK if you pressed and held the OK button, then pressed the OK button to save it as a location. In either event, if you press the bottom (down) dot on the rocker pad twice, the coordinates block will be highlighted. If you then press the OK button, you will see the first character of the coordinates highlighted and a selectable number pad in the center of the screen. Use the rocker pad to highlight the desired number or letter, press OK button to select it and highlight the next character. Use the arrows to move through characters that do not need to be changed. When the coordinates are correct, select Done and press OK or just press the Page button. Edit the name, symbol, and other fields in a similar manner.

It is easier to do all this than to describe the process. Try it an see if it works for you.

Mark

Thanks everyone!

It took a moment but my GPS thought I was in Kansas City, OK for some reason and that was partially confusing me. I couldnt find my saved locations or anything simply because the GPS figured I would not need to see them since it thought I was in OK.

At any case, maybe a little geocaching would be in order some time soon. Just got to find if there are anymore GCers here in Crestline, California. I practically live in BFE.

-Mary