Shocking

As the adverts say, other cache listing services are available. I would sign up for a premium account today even though I don't have the equipment for paperless caching. However I have an irrational haterid of Paypal.

I should know better than to even consider posting to this thread, but...

If it's really just Paypal which puts you off, there's an option to pay directly through Groundspeak. Go to http://www.geocaching.com/subscribe/ and then look for the link which says "Groundspeak Store" just above the Paypal buttons.

If you do it this way, Groundspeak charges your card directly in US$ and there's no Paypal involved.

(Why they offer the choice is a mystery to me, but I assume there's some good reason.)

I'd be interested where the hundreds of thousands of dollars (approx.) that come into GroundSqueak's account yearly go to too.

I'd hazard a guess that the money goes on the premises that Groundspeak occupies, band width, Staff wages including Jeremy's. Equipment including the new server that has just been purchased, the commercial software used on the site. And the outside consultants who are advising on ramping up the site. Oh and future improvements to the site.

Premium member features are a reward for those who support the site financially. Those who list caches on this site even if they are not PM's also support the site by adding to the core reason for the site being in existence.

Jeremy is quit happy to continue allowing free access to the site. But a thought for Non PM's to consider even if they've no intention of using the extra features. Purchasing Premium Membership is about putting funds into Groundspeaks war chest , some of which will be assigned to future improvements to the stability of the site, whether it be new software [with who knows what features] or new servers, for this reason alone it's worth spending the money.

The above is my personal opinion only