help with entering hints on eXplorist 210

I've been playing with my new 210 and am having problems with my hints being chopped off when I transfer my info from either GSAK or Magellan Geocache manager to the 210. What is the maximum length of hints that can be transferred? When I cut and paste from Geocaching.com into either program, the entire (sometimes 5-6 sentences) hint is saved, but when I transfer the data to my 210 I only get 2 lines saved. When I view the hint, there are 2 lines and the rest of the screen is blank (and there is a lot of screen area that is blank). In case it matters...

1- I download the loc files because I'm not a premium member

2- I then cut and paste the hints (and many of them are several sentences long)

3- I then send the info to the geocaching folder

Thanks for any and all help with this.

This is a limitation of the Explorist. It will only show the first 50 characters of the hint. I can't remember if that's a limitation on how much information it stores or diplays (I think the former), but it comes down to the same thing functionally.

Edited by embra

True for the 210, 400, 500, 600 and XL. I don't know if the 100, 200, and 300 have a geocaching mode ( I don't think they do), but if they do I'm sure that their hints are truncated to 50 characters, too.

Thanks again for the info...Talk about a situation that begs for a firmware update! Any one have a connection within the Magellan organization?

embra,

Even with Premium member and GSAK I still only get the name of the cache on my GPS and nothing else. But, I am still working on it.

Thanks for your emails back,

J

If you are a premium member and open a Pocket Query in GSAK, do a file export in eXplorist format, and copy this geocache.gs file into a geocache folder in internal or SD card, and then make the file active.

Map4navigation, EScout has probably told you what you need to know in his typically thorough manner (thorough is good here, because there are several ways that things can go wrong).

I'll just chime in with an emphasis on making sure the export is in .gs format, which allows for all the extra information. My guess is that you're exporting in the Regular POI .upt format, which only shows names and comments. The upt files have the advantage over gs files of being editable on the GPS, but they don't show the other cache information unless you configure the comments to show it.

Thanks for bring this up...I have the same problem. I still can't get it to work and it says it's exporing .gs format??? anyways here is what I do: I make a list of all my geocaches on my palm! I can put in the description and anything alse I want too... Anyways Good luck (hope you have a PDA too) :(

Edited by helirider