would this be distroyed?

sweetlife

check out the picture i took of this benchmark, I dont ususally look for these, but found this one this weekend, the concrete square was there but loose and no mark on it only a small pipe in it, but the USGS has a orange marker by it? we marked it as a find for now.

check out the link to my post

http://www.geocaching.com/mark/details.aspx?PID=QM0476

sweetlife,

Something does not quite look right in your photo, that looks like a piece of concrete that had a disk in it, yet you should either be finding a big hole from where a monument can had been torn out, or more than likely a bent or not stainless rod down in a hole.

To know more about this one, you should dig down a little underneath or around that concrete, the rod could still be in place.

CallawayMT

I agree with CallawayMT. All the 1980s era marks I have found have been stainless steel rods under what is called a "logo cap" and have looked like f0016f26-0238-408b-bee1-620a5c412bb1.jpg.

I am not sure if concrete is involved in any way--I have never seen any. Just the rod inside the hole under the cap. The piece of concrete, although suspicios, may have been set there to protect or call attention to the mark.

Edited by mloser

sweetlife -

At this point, this is not a find. It is good to log your picture though, but your log should be a post-a-note or a not-found.

I suggest going back with a screwdriver or some other metal thing that you could use to poke into the ground. As the 3 experts before me have indicated, you're looking for a flat thing that is at least 6 or 8 inches in diameter. The existence of something that large and flat is usually findable by some poking around. Pick up the cement block and poke the ground under it (and put it back when you're done).

A cement block with a pipe in it is what generally remains when a sign is wrecked or no longer needed. I agree with mloser - the cement is probably just helping the witness post indicate were the marker is. Sometimes a mark is buried under a few inches of sod if the area has changed since 1982. With the mark 1.2 meters below the road, and not very far from it, the area of the mark might be gradually filling in with topsoil.

Did you find the location by using the GPS coordinates, or by following the directions on the benchmark page? This benchmark is "scaled". That means that it could be up to 600 feet off the GPS coordinates. The correct location for this benchmark must normally be found using the directions, not a GPS.

You might want to check out the "Me First" topic at the top of the forum, and in particular the "scaled vs adjusted" topic 7.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama