Discovering a TB

Fuchsiamagic

I have just noticed that some folks log a TB or GC as "Discovered" rather that "Retrieved". I have never done this yet. I presume you have to make a note of the tracking number, but leave it in the cache, maybe because you don't have anything to trade with it. Does that add to your score with the icon showing up in your profile the same way as retrieving it would?

"Discovered" is handy when your caching buddy shows you a TB they picked up yesterday or last week, and is going to drop it while with you today. Or at an event, where you saw so many, but never took possession yourself.

And yes, I believe you get credit on you numbers, or no one would bother.

I have just noticed that some folks log a TB or GC as "Discovered" rather that "Retrieved". I have never done this yet. I presume you have to make a note of the tracking number, but leave it in the cache, maybe because you don't have anything to trade with it. Does that add to your score with the icon showing up in your profile the same way as retrieving it would?

Yes it shows in your stats as if you have moved the bug. It was designed specifically for people who don't move travelers.

Just to clarify travel bugs are not trade items, you don’t have to leave one to take one.

I presume you have to make a note of the tracking number, but leave it in the cache, maybe because you don't have anything to trade with it.

Leave it in the cache, or leave it in the inventory of the user who currently has the TB.

(Just a point of clarification: TBs aren't considered trade items. It's ok to take one without leaving anything for it.)

Does that add to your score with the icon showing up in your profile the same way as retrieving it would?

Yes (as long as you haven't had that particular traveler in your possession already). In fact, I believe the Discover option was added primarily to make it easier for people to get 'credit' (and the associated icon) for coins, which were (still are) being handed around in large numbers at events. The Discover option allows this to happen with only a single log, where people used to have to do a retrieve and then a drop. Caused lots of emails to be moved around.

I've never used the Discover option. It might have value for logging for coins at an event, but I'm not sure why people use it for TBs found in caches. Just bumps up their TB find number, I guess.

edit: um, yeah, pretty much what BlueDeuce just said.

Edited by cache_test_dummies