Posting a note

I realise I may need my tin hat for this but here goes.

I would like to log a note on some caches to let people know about a Waymarking category that I have set up. The category is very relevant to the caches and the category may be of interest to people who are interested in the subject of the cache.

I will not do this without first obtaining the permission of the cache setter, as I know that the word "Waymarking" can turn some mild mannered geocachers into irrational balls of hatred :anicute: , and I don't want to rock the boat. :)

What I'd like to know is: Is there any good reason why I should NOT post such a note. Particularly, is there any written Groundspeak rule/guideline that I should be aware of. I'm not drumming up business for a commercial concern, and I'm only posting a note.

I have, in the past posted notes with extra info about the local area on caches where I feel I have something to add, and have been thanked for it, so in principle I don't see why I shouldn't.

Lastly, a plea for calm - This posting is not intended to canvass people's opinions about Waymarking, nor is it to open up a general debate on Waymarking. By all means start your own thread on that if you want. I won't join it. This is purely about whether there is any reason why I should not post the above note on caches, having first obtained the permission of the setter.

Cheers and happy caching :D

With your proviso about obtaining the owner's permission, I can't see a problem with what you suggest. (And I speak as one of the group you refer to :anicute: .)

However, consider two things. Firstly, if the cache owner agrees with your note then would it not be better for you to suggest that the owner places the info in the description rather than you placing it in a note?

Secondly, if you do place it in a note then the note will soon scroll off the visible area and later cachers probably won't even see it.

The second point is, of course, resolved by the first :D.

You could create a bookmark list to do the same thing its then not a note that sinks down the cache page.

Oooh! a bookmark list! a bookmark list! :D (Goes into Mr Toad mode) Poop poop!

I can feel another lengthy obsessive project coming on. :anicute: The other half of Team Sieni may not fully approve.

Thanks for the idea.

I have actually suggested to the cache owners they could add a link on their page, if they want, but I don't like to come across all pushy, so I've left it at that.

I have actually suggested to the cache owners they could add a link on their page, if they want, but I don't like to come across all pushy, so I've left it at that.

If you don't want to be too pushy then you don't want to add caches to a bookmark list without the cache owner's agreement. Discussions on that subject get nearly as heated as ones about Waymarking :anicute:.

Discussions on that subject get nearly as heated as ones about Waymarking :D.

Oh poo. :anicute:

Why is life always so complicated?

There was some discussion in the US forums re bookmark lists. Some people started lists like "these caches are lame" or "these are liars caches" or "i hate this cachers cache cause he deleted one of my logs for no reason" bookmarks im sure you get the jist.

I think TPTB could explain them better when you set one up in particular the way the three tick boxes work

we have a FTF list its public but we unticked the box "make this list public (show on bookmarked listings)" something im sure many people unintentionally do.

if you just tick the box "i want to share this list with others" and then put a link on your profile page or on the waymark page it can work just as well without the cache owner ever seeing it.