The Geocacher's Creed

In my opinion "The Geocacher's Creed" is a fantastically inane piece of work. Disregarding anyone who is developmentally disabled or has perhaps suffered a head injury,
How does it disregard these people? Can you please elaborate? I guess I honestly wouldn't have thought that these tidbits of common sense (many of which are guidelines) would infringe on anybody....
I took his post differently than you did, for what it's worth.
How did you interpret "Disregarding anyone who is developmentally disabled?"
I believe that he was saying that he thought that the 'creed' is a fantastically inane piece of work and would only be useful for those that are developmentally disabled or have suffered a head injury.
In my opinion "The Geocacher's Creed" is a fantastically inane piece of work. Disregarding anyone who is developmentally disabled or has perhaps suffered a head injury,
How does it disregard these people? Can you please elaborate? I guess I honestly wouldn't have thought that these tidbits of common sense (many of which are guidelines) would infringe on anybody....

Not that I agree with JohnX (despite the good name), but I think you stopped reading too soon, TG. The part you are missing is in bold below:
Disregarding anyone who is developmentally disabled or has perhaps suffered a head injury, any adult who needs to pledge "When placing or seeking geocaches, I will not Endanger Myself or Others." before hiding or looking for a box of crap in the woods needs to assess their level of maturity or their need to follow rules that don't exist.
That was the real point he was trying to make, I think. The first part was really poorly worded, and the way I read it was "Unless they are mentally incapacitated..." "Disregarding" was the wrong word to use, an attempt to use a big(ger) word that failed. :anicute:

Frankly, I work on a semi-regular basis with people who are developmentally disabled and/or have suffered a brain injury. I can't think of a single one of them that wouldn't realize if they were doing something that would endanger others, but I see people with no disability at all put others in danger all the time. I think JohnX is selling these folks short. :)

Edited to add:

I believe that he was saying that he thought that the 'creed' is a fantastically inane piece of work and would only be useful for those that are developmentally disabled or have suffered a head injury.

What he said, but I'm acting a little more ticked off about what JohnX said. :D Edited by Too Tall John

I'm pretty sure that he was just trying to be elaborate and verbose on the concept of "stupid people" and that it's being read way too deeply for it's own good. (He's not referring to people that literally have brain damage or a disorder. This kinda of can be compared to saying something is "gay"(bad;undesirable) and someone would incorrectly(or correctly depending on your view of such slang) infer as a direct insult to homosexuality.)

Yous guys need to relax a bit.

Edited by DrunkCat
How about if we just start making sweeping generalizations about any demographic group? What if he said "Unless you are a (Hispanic, Asian, African American, Swede, woman, man, person who likes anchovies, whatever you want to insert into this spot) you shouldn't need this creed." It is just plain insulting and helps to perpetuate a stereotype.

Not the kind of thing I'm ready to relax about.

Edited by Too Tall John

Oh, I get it. I'm a New Yorker so you're using 'Yous guys' as a dig on how I talk.

Nice.

Actually, it's just my mannerism of speaking in text form.

How about if we just start making sweeping generalizations about any demographic group? What if he said "Unless you are a (Hispanic, Asian, African American, Swede, woman, man, person who likes anchovies, whatever you want to insert into this spot) you shouldn't need this creed." It is just plain insulting and helps to perpetuate a stereotype.

Not the kind of thing I'm ready to relax about.

Excerpt:

someone would incorrectly(or correctly depending on your view of such slang) infer as a direct insult

If he would've simply said stupid this would've been avoided, just as people who would just say that's bad rather than that's gay continuing my previous analogy. But since he didn't, yes, you are right in you're opinion that it's insulting. Taking it literally of course, but twas not his idea so it is unfair.

Now then, you can not relax which is fine, I mean if you are all up for ridding the world of slang deriving from general stereotypes go right ahead, but this is just a really small case of misinterpretation (or over analyzing). Which is why I said for everyone to just relax and continue on their little debate on the creed, and stop centering around a post which contains something that might be taken (has been apparently) insulting to a certain demographic.

Remember the quote which says that no matter what you say or how you say it, you'll be offending someone. And that doubles when it's open for misinterpretation.

Like I said it is difficult to express images of things in a few words. If I was talking to you I could elaborate. Any any rate just give me the benefit of the doubt. :anicute:

I was simply asking. :anicute: The way that guy worded his post made it come off a couple of different ways. But basically he sardonically stated that it's all common sense and why do we need a creed. However, I think that he assumes that we live in the ideal world and that everyone has common sense. It is evident that some people don't. So reading through this creed and the guidelines periodically would be useful for people like that. :lol:

In my opinion The Creed is an accurate, yet unnecessary, statement of common sense. Fortunately it doesn’t really endorse a specific style of play; rather it simply lists the kinds of obvious and intrinsic principles that folks can usually figure out for themselves without help. If there is anyone out there who actually needs to have these things documented and spelled out for them in order to play safely and nicely, they probably have much larger problems than Geocaching problems to begin with. If there is anyone out there who isn’t already following the listed suggestions and doesn’t see any problem with that, then the mere existence of the Creed isn’t going to have any effect on them at all – the ones who ostensibly need it the most.

It’s like when the playground teacher says “play nice.” The good kids nod their heads in agreement while the bullies and vandals just roll their eyes and ignore her. Not very effective.

The Creed doesn’t really hurt anything, however, so I guess I’m not opposed to it. I do find it interesting that a few of the same folks who push The Creed seem to sometimes be the very people who have more trouble complying with its policies than do the general caching population. Not many. Just a few.

Edited by KBI

In my opinion The Creed is an unnecessary statement of common sense. Fortunately it doesn’t really endorse a specific style of play; rather it simply lists the kinds of obvious and intrinsic principles that folks can usually figure out for themselves without help. If there is anyone out there who actually needs to have these things documented and spelled out for them in order to play safely and nicely, they probably have much larger problems than Geocaching problems to begin with. If there is anyone out there who isn’t already following the listed suggestions and doesn’t see any problem with that, then the mere existence of the Creed isn’t going to have any effect on them at all – the ones who ostensibly need it the most.

It’s like when the playground teacher says “play nice.” The good kids nod their heads in agreement while the bullies just roll their eyes and ignore her. Not very effective.

The Creed doesn’t really hurt anything, however, so I guess I’m not opposed to it. I do find it interesting that a few of the same folks who push The Creed seem to sometimes be the very people who have more trouble complying with its policies than do the general caching population. Not many. Just a few.

:anicute::anicute::lol::)B):):o

In my opinion The Creed is an accurate, yet unnecessary, statement of common sense. Fortunately it doesn't really endorse a specific style of play; rather it simply lists the kinds of obvious and intrinsic principles that folks can usually figure out for themselves without help. If there is anyone out there who actually needs to have these things documented and spelled out for them in order to play safely and nicely, they probably have much larger problems than Geocaching problems to begin with. If there is anyone out there who isn't already following the listed suggestions and doesn't see any problem with that, then the mere existence of the Creed isn't going to have any effect on them at all – the ones who ostensibly need it the most.

It's like when the playground teacher says "play nice." The good kids nod their heads in agreement while the bullies and vandals just roll their eyes and ignore her. Not very effective.

The Creed doesn't really hurt anything, however, so I guess I'm not opposed to it. I do find it interesting that a few of the same folks who push The Creed seem to sometimes be the very people who have more trouble complying with its policies than do the general caching population. Not many. Just a few.

I think the people that have the issues are the ones that check that they have read the guidelines when they haven't...

Oh, I get it. I'm a New Yorker so you're using 'Yous guys' as a dig on how I talk.

Nice.

Actually, sbell, you'll be proud to know that your joke was not lost on me... :anicute::oB)

Don't even get me started about those people that like ancheevies.

...however, it is comments like these that tear my at heart. I have some very dear friends and family who love (or in the case of dear old grampa, loved) anchovies. I, myself, think they are gross (in fact many were not suprised to hear grampa choked to death on the beastly things) but I hold those who not only tolerate but embrace these stinky fish in very high esteem. :anicute:

:lol: <-- Added, just in case. :)

Hay, I like anchovies!

Oh... wait.... does that prove your point? :anicute:

I only like anchovies when they are on somebody else's pizza. Yecch! :anicute:
Maybe somebody else's pizza in a different county...

At least somewhere out of nose range.

Hay, I like anchovies!

Oh... wait.... does that prove your point? :anicute:

I only like anchovies when they are on somebody else's pizza. Yecch! :anicute:
Maybe somebody else's pizza in a different county...

At least somewhere out of nose range.

Have you ever smelled Ludafisk? That takes gross smelling a whole new level.... :lol: