Memory Card choices

I am a newbie to GPS. I have a new H2C0 c. I am still waiting for my mapping software to show up (mapcreate 7). I have two questions about the SD memory cards.

Is there any real reason for 1 gb cards over against 512 mb? That is, if I get 512 will I be kicking myself? For example can you put multiple map files on one card or is it more practical to have 1 map file for each card?

Secondly, for GPS units is there any practical reason to get fast SD memory (66x or above) or does it not make any real difference in this application?

I would appreciate help, I am about to buy some cards.

Thanks for the help.

Hello. I'm not sure what unit you have but i would check with the manufacturer of the unit.

I had an issuse with getting a memory card to work in my GPS. The thread is here.

Hope you can find one that works well without multiple trips to the store. :D

It is a lowrance ifinder h2o c

Your iFinder will support up to a 2 GB SD card (just so you know).

I know lots of people use 2GB cards, and really, given the low prices nowadays, maybe it isn't a bad idea to just buy one.

Having said that, I use a 512 MB card in mine. It was a hand-me-down when I bought a 2GB for my PDA. Using MapCreate 6.3 Topo, I have a map cut out that includes Western Pennsylvania, and parts of New York, Ohio, and West Virginia. I can't recall exactly now, but it is something like 25 MB in size.

You can store multiple maps on the same storage card with no trouble. The iFinder will automatically detect and display them. They don't even need to be specifically loaded. It would actually be much less practical to store individual maps on individual cards.

The iFinder stores other data, such as waypoints and trails in the unit itself, and this information can be transferred to the storage card. They take up very little space. A good bit less than a MB for a pocket query of 500 caches with hints and other information included plus some tracks and what-not from our adventures.

The only reason that I can think of that you might want a big storage card would be if you want to put the whole country on it. I don't know if the whole country will fit on a 2GB card or not, though.

My 512MB card is never more than 10 percent or so filled, even when I travel somewhere else and add another large area map.

I don't know about higher-speed memory. I have regular speed SanDisks. It does pause a bit to read the card when zooming quickly and starting up, but this doesn't bother me and I don't know if a higher speed card would make a difference.

I am a newbie to GPS. I have a new H2C0 c. I am still waiting for my mapping software to show up (mapcreate 7). I have two questions about the SD memory cards.

Is there any real reason for 1 gb cards over against 512 mb? That is, if I get 512 will I be kicking myself? For example can you put multiple map files on one card or is it more practical to have 1 map file for each card?

Secondly, for GPS units is there any practical reason to get fast SD memory (66x or above) or does it not make any real difference in this application?

Thanks for the help.

The faster write speed is unneccessary for GPSs. Faster write speed disks can be an advantage in digital cameras that need to transfer a lot of data before the next photo is taken. GPSs read from the disk more than write to it.

It also depends on how your GPSr can use the card. If it can be used to store more waypoints, routes etc, it would be a great idea to have a larger card. I keep a 2 gig in mine since i do have the whole country installed on the card and since it only cost me 20 bucks it was worth getting.

Where did you get one for $20?

Thanks for the help.

The faster write speed is unneccessary for GPSs. Faster write speed disks can be an advantage in digital cameras that need to transfer a lot of data before the next photo is taken. GPSs read from the disk more than write to it.

Thanks for that information. That is what I tho't, but I didn't know if I was missing something.