making data field size on 76Cx smaller

mblitch

I am playing with my new Garmin 76Cx and there are two things I haven't figured out. When using the map, the data field boxes are quite large. Just 4 data boxes take up half the screen while on my old GPSMAP 76S they were much more manageable (i.e. could have 2-3 data fields per row and several rows only took up 20-30% of the screen). Since my eyesight is still quite good, how can I reduce the data filed sizes to something considerably smaller (such as even half the size). I have the software 3.3 for the 76Cx. I don't need the data fields to be large enough to read from the back of a 20' RV when it will typically be no more than 2' away.

I like the Geocache function of the GPs, especially if I want to do a quick search for caches when I'm out and about. I usually use GSAK and have it set so that different caches have different icons (e.g. multi-cache = amusement park, micro= controlled area, etc). If I search for geocaches, all that come up are those that are traditional. Is there a way to associate withing the GPSr itself several icons to mean geocache. I'm guess that this will be a negative, but thought I would ask. I suppose I'll just have to have everything set as geocache and geocache found icons so they will be properly listed and will just have to look in my Palm device (using cachemate) to determine the kind of cache it may be.

I can't help with the GPSr question, but for the GSAK question, unless the cache has the treasure chest icon, you won't get the Geocache functions on the GPSr.

I use a custom "Smart Name" that tells me the name of the cache, the Size of the container, the Type of cache, and the Difficulty and Terrain. At a glance I see whether the cache is a Traditional, a Virtual, or a Multi. If it is either of the latter, I know I have to look up the cache in my Palm before searching the coordinates.

I can't help with the GPSr question, but for the GSAK question, unless the cache has the treasure chest icon, you won't get the Geocache functions on the GPSr.

This is not quite correct. The 60Cx/CSx and 76Cx/CSx will only recognize a single symbol for 'geocache' or 'geocache found'. While the default symbols are set to the closed and open treasure chest respectively, they can be changed to any symbol that exists on the unit, including custom icons. Just highlight the icon you wish to change, and select the one you wish to use.

geocachescreen.gif

The important thing is that the symbol in the geocache setup screen is the same as the symbol that is associated with the geocaches you are uploading to your gps, whatever that symbol may actually be. Having multiple symbols recognized as a geocache is not possible

Since my eyesight is still quite good, how can I reduce the data filed sizes to something considerably smaller (such as even half the size).

Unfortunately, this is not possible.

I was afraid of this. I wonder why they intentionally made it so large. I'd prefer having a lot of information on the screen and still have map space rather than have my speed setting viewable from 10 feet away. I appreciate the help and was hoping It was just something I overlooked.

I have changed the data fields I use with the Map Page to make the map more useful.

When I was driving, I would change the Data Fields to "none." When I was using the map to help navigate to a cache, I changed the Data Fields to be "Distance to Next" along with the "Arrow."

I got really good at toggling the Data Fields off and on. :laughing: