Garmin Venture CX tying to download

I'm trying to get started with GSAK and send some waypoints to my Venture CX. I did figure out how to get the computer to acknowledge the existience of the USB connection although I see no mention of the etrex unit when I go to the list of drives. It does however show up in the device manager. But I get an error saying can't init COM3 when I try to send the info. In addition, I do not have a microSD card.

I'm wondering if:

1) It's impossible to send any information to my unit without some sort of microSD card, or

2) It sounds like I have something set up incorrectly, or

3) both 1 & 2.

:laughing:

Thanks!

Edited by runewell

I'm trying to get started with GSAK and send some waypoints to my Venture CX. I did figure out how to get the computer to acknowledge the existience of the USB connection although I see no mention of the etrex unit when I go to the list of drives. It does however show up in the device manager. But I get an error saying can't init COM3 when I try to send the info. In addition, I do not have a microSD card.

I'm wondering if:

1) It's impossible to send any information to my unit without some sort of microSD card, or

2) It sounds like I have something set up incorrectly, or

3) both 1 & 2.

:laughing:

Thanks!

You need to change the settings in gsak for the gps. Make sure you mark the box relating to a usb connection and that should solve the problem.

I had tried it both ways. I went back and checked that box and it looks like it is sending the info but then a different error msg appears:

SetupDiEnumDeviceInterfaces: No more data is available.

Is it powered up and connected? Is it really a USB unit? and some other stuff

... although I see no mention of the etrex unit when I go to the list of drives ...

You should not be looking for a drive letter, when using GSAK: Are you using the send to GPSr option within GSAK?

The USB mass storage option under interfaces in setup, will allow access ONLY to the uSD card and not to the units internal memory.

The USB mass storage option under interfaces in setup, will allow access ONLY to the uSD card and not to the units internal memory.

So I should skip the setup interface part and just connect the GPS to my computer and then use GSAK and hope it sends it to internal memory? That was my intent...

Edited by runewell