Request change to Notifications

HuggyFamily

It would be very helpful if the "notifications" feature of the website could be modified to include sending a cache's coordinates. That way, when we're on the road and a new listing comes out, we can avoid driving back home to look them up. A small contribution to the global warming crisis, and even stiffer competition for FTF's!!

Thanks!

HuggyFamily

Vancouver, B.C.

Three words:

wap.geocaching.com

(OK, five if you count "dot" twice)

Thanks for that site, but my question presumes that we would not necessarily have Wireless access on the road (if we did, we could login to the normal geocaching website). So my request still stands......

PH.

I have a cache in a neighborhood park. That park has strict hours. If you got the notification at 10:00 p.m. and had the coordinates, and drove the distance to the park, would you obey the hours posted there?

If you have to look at the cache page, you will see the hours the park is open.

I wouldn't want someone searching for my little Geocache to cause problems with the neighbors or the park managers because they were searching after hours . . . ;)

I have a cache in a neighborhood park. That park has strict hours. If you got the notification at 10:00 p.m. and had the coordinates, and drove the distance to the park, would you obey the hours posted there?

Of course. Fact is, that represents a small portion of caches (at least in these parts).

Also, re: unknown caches, I filter those out in my notifications, so I only get new listings of traditionals. Otherwise, that would be annoying.

Edited by HuggyFamily

Of course. Fact is, that represents a small portion of caches (at least in these parts).

It is no doubt a small percentage of caches where the page has important NEED to know details. But they do exist. We really don't need any more black eyes to our little activity from people in too much of a hurry to know what they are going after.

It is no doubt a small percentage of caches where the page has important NEED to know details. But they do exist. We really don't need any more black eyes to our little activity from people in too much of a hurry to know what they are going after.

Agreed on the bad publicity part. As for being in a hurry, I believe everybody gets something unique out of geocaching, whether it's the hike, the technology or whatever. For us, the prospects of FTF's is our form of "reality TV", only it's really reality....so we are just looking for a faster fix (no pun intended). Also, we live in an area already experiencing severe traffic issues. To head home and use more gas, just to access the web is not really what we want.

Looks like I may have to invest in that new "smart" phone with integrated wifi and web access after all ;-)

Thanks for weighing in.

PH.

wap.geocaching.com

Thanks for that site, but my question presumes that we would not necessarily have Wireless access on the road (if we did, we could login to the normal geocaching website). So my request still stands......

I'm not sure I understand how you get new cache notifications while on the road, without at least having a mobile phone. And that's all you need for the WAP site. I access wap.geocaching.com from a boring old Nokia 3100, from anywhere with GPRS data access (which is more or less anywhere, in Europe at least).

I get the notifications by having the feature send an e-mail to my cel #. It arrives as a text message (actually two text messages as the character count must be limited), but has only the cache name, waymark name, and distance from my home coords.

You are right about the web access...

After playing some more with my cel phone, I remembered that my provider does offer some rudimentary web browsing abilities on my Motorola Razr. I can browse to http://wap.geocaching.com, however when I try any of the links, I get the following error:

Server Error in /

System.FormatException

Invalid length for a Base-64

char array.

Method:FromBase64String

Any of you web gurus know what that might be? Could there be a fix?

PH.

Edited by HuggyFamily