Help identifying a benchmark

archi77

I noticed this benchmark on my way home a few days ago, so I stopped, took the usual pics, and tried to find it in the database - but I couldn't. It's QUITE obvious inits location, so I would think it would be in the database, but then again, I am a noobie. It's located about 3 feet above ground, on the corner of a brick church, just above the stone, about 10 feet from the road...quite obvious, even as you drive by. If some of you more seasoned veterans can help me ID this, and also, please explain to me HOW you ID'ed it, I would be MOST appreciative, as this has become my passion / addiction. I'll post some pics...

DSC_0525.jpg

DSC_0527.jpg

DSC_0526.jpg

Doing a quick search around your home town of Orrtanna showed these very similar marks: JV1994, JV2034, & JV3387. All identical looking USGS marks mounted vertically on brick churches. Their designations all corresponded with the elevations stamped into them, and one could assume from that that the designation of the mark you found is '608 USGS'. A designation search didn't find a match however.

Search coordinates, as the RockHounders mentioned, would definately help narrow down the possibilities.

Hope this helps.

- Kewaneh

This is one of the tens of thousands of marks set by the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) and never submitted to NGS for inclusion in the national network. I have a complete listing of the old USGS data in the NGS library and will post the info for this mark when I get back to the office on Thursday.

oof - my bad, I even had the coordinates written down on a piece of paper, in my pocket! I just forgot to post them. <sigh> It's been that sort of month already...

Coordinates are: N 39-47.246, W 077-22.140, town is Fairfield, PA, Adams County - don't remember the name of the church, but I pass it almost every day so tomorrow I will look at it and write it down so I remember...

I did the search using the coordinates, but the nearest one listed was a mile away...so guess it's an unlisted BM. :laughing: Thanks for all of your help, gang...

Sorry it took me so long to get the name - they were doing road construction this week, so this morning was the first day I was able to drive by the church. It is:

St. John Lutheran Church

Fairfield, PA

Adams County

Thanks for any help. For now, I guess I just log it as unloggable! :(