EBay?

EBay gets a lot of mention in the Garage Sale. I'm a pepetural bargain hunter but I won't shop at pawn shops because I assume the stuff has a fair chance of having been stolen and hocked. I have a vaguely uneasy feeling about EBay, possibly for the same reason. I'm curious if it's just me.

What are people's thoughts, feelings, experiences with EBay?

PapaDean, cheapskate from way back.

Edited by PapaDean

EBay gets a lot of mention in the Garage Sale. I'm a pepetural bargain hunter but I won't shop at pawn shops because I assume the stuff has a fair chance of having been stolen and hocked. I have a vaguely uneasy feeling about EBay, possibly for the same reason. I'm curious if it's just me.

What are people's thoughts, feelings, experiences with EBay?

PapaDean, cheapskate from way back.

I've had great experiences and found some great deals on ebay. I always use paypal because of the protection they offer. I've never had to use it though so I don't know how much red tape you've got to go through if you have a problem and need to get your money back.

I've only had one problem with a non paying buyer. I'm currently dealing with it and I'm probably just going to relist the item.

I have been buying and selling on eBay since '99 and have gotten lots and lots of stuff on eBay.

The first thing you need to do when looking at an item is click on the seller's "Feedback" rating to see the comments people make. If there are lots of comments like "Super fast shipping" and "Item just as described," you should have a good experience.

Just don't get caught up in the bidding, and make sure you keep the amount of the shipping in mind. Some sellers charge way too much for shipping . . . :laughing:

There are some items that actually sell for more on eBay than they are available online if you do a search on Pricegrabber, or elsewhere, first.

There are people who buy things online or from eBay, and folks who never will. If you are in the latter camp don't beat yourself up over it.

Out of the 600+ transactions I have had on eBay, only 2 were misrepresented and both ended in refund of my purchase price.

Do your research on the product you want and the seller's feedback, bid your max early and don't revisit it, and you will generally be happy.

I have purchased, and sold on ebay with no problems.As has been mentioned paypal is also a good idea.However,there are some items that sell for more than they are worth.

For example,I purchased a new unit for my auto, for a little more than a refurbished one.

There are good buys on ebay,but do research before you buy.