Windows Vista and NG TOPO!

Anyone else using the Windows Vista on a laptop with the National Geographic TOPO! State Series and the 4.xx updates?

New HP Pavilion dv6000 with VISTA and the latest drivers and updates.

I can not get some of the cd's to copy to the hard drive, some copy part way and some will not even spin.

They all work fine in both the XP laptop and the XP desktop.

I had to change the com port on the gps to 6 for the laptop to find it and it will locate on a partial map but once I scroll off the part that is installed, the program freezes and I have to close out and start the program again.

I have two sets of the Oregon TOPO! cd's and both sets act the same in the laptop. Have not even tried the rest of them yet.

I did end up getting a serial - USB cable to connect the laptop to the old 330M which works just fine.

Thanks for any good advice.

Logscaler.

Anyone else using the Windows Vista on a laptop with the National Geographic TOPO! State Series and the 4.xx updates?

I can not get some of the cd's to copy to the hard drive, some copy part way and some will not even spin.

I had to change the com port on the gps to 6 for the laptop to find it and it will locate on a partial map but once I scroll off the part that is installed, the program freezes and I have to close out and start the program again.

I have two sets of the Oregon TOPO! cd's and both sets act the same in the laptop. Have not even tried the rest of them yet.

I did end up getting a serial - USB cable to connect the laptop to the old 330M which works just fine.

Logscaler.

I wish you good luck with vista because your going to need it. Vista not only is a huge resource hog its not compatible with many many programs. Your best bet is to go back to xp if possible and wash your hands of vista atleast until more programs have patches . I just went through my own situation with vista and am happy to say GOODBYE to vista.

Logscaler.

I wish you good luck with vista because your going to need it. Vista not only is a huge resource hog its not compatible with many many programs. Your best bet is to go back to xp if possible and wash your hands of vista atleast until more programs have patches . I just went through my own situation with vista and am happy to say GOODBYE to vista.

Yes, I have kept the XP machine just for this mapping reason.

Working some of the bugs out by just playing with the dang thing.

Anyone else have advise?

Other then get a Garmin? Which I understand has its own troubles with Vista.

Solved all the problems and Vista work well with NG TOPO!

How did you get it to work? I haven't tried yet, but I just got a new screamer laptop with Vista and I'll be needing to install TOPO. Any tips?

First thing to do is go to the N.G. TOPO! website and download this update, :TOPO! 428.

The update assumes that your already running 4.xx version software.

Here is the e-mail I got from NG TOPO! support:

"Download Size: 6 MB

When downloading the 4.2.8 upgrade, first save the file to your desktop, close TOPO!, open the file on your desktop and run it.

When you restart TOPO!, verify the upgrade was successful by clicking on the 'Info' tab from the menu bar, and selecting 'About TOPO!'.

If you would like to copy the Map data discs to your hard drive, please follow the instructions below:

Open Topo!

Click View > TOPO! Product Setup > Copy Data CD-ROMs to Hard Drive...

You will be prompted to insert a TOPO! Data CD to copy, then click 'OK'

------------

INSTALLING ON A WINDOWS VISTA PC:

When installing software, Vista may ask you to 'Allow' the installer program to run, and might require you to enter an administrator password to proceed. Follow the on-screen instructions, allowing Vista to run the setup.exe installer.

You should be able to install to the suggested 'Program Files' location, but if you experience any problems with this, please click the 'Browse...' button during installation and change the install location to the following: "c:\users\public\topo!". This will allow any user account on the PC to run the application.

If the program icon does not appear in the Windows Start menu, you can add one manually by right-clicking on the program icon and choosing 'Pin to Start Menu'. Locate the program icon by clicking 'Start > Computer' and browsing into the install folder (usually at "c:\program\files\topo!").

After installing, we suggest that you check for updates by visiting our website at:

http://maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/upgrades.cfm

If you have trouble running an update that you have downloaded from this website, try right-clicking on its icon and choosing 'Run as Administrator'. This will allow Windows Vista to properly update the application and related files.

I hope this information assists.

Please include all previous correspondence with your reply"

That was it in a nutshell, so to speak.

I found it worked best just to save straight to the "c:\users\public\topo!" file. Makes it easy to find later on.

After that, it is pretty much the same as loading the files to a 98 or XP machine. Copy and past.

The biggest problem I found I had was when I transfered all the files from the old laptop to the new one, I got as many as 16 copies of some files, including TOPO!, worth around 16G of space. By time I found ALL the files, I pretty much had to wipe all the TOPO! files from the computer and start over. They where scattered all through the machine.

But then, if your not running a GPSr that already has a usb cable, then you need to get the usb cable and find the right drivers, the right com port and to remember to plug the GPSr in AFTER you start TOPO! or the laptop might see the GPSr as a second mouse. That will really drive you crazy as the mouse runs around opening different programs faster then you can close them.

I know, rambling on but I hope it helps.

If not, contact me and I will see if I can explain it differently.

Hope that helps.

Logscaler.