Garmin Foretrex Opinions

Ok, My son and I have only been caching about a month now but he's really gotten into it (well I have too). Right now we share my 60 CSX but I was thinking that it would be more fun for him if he had his own GPSr so he could see if he could "beat" dad to the cache. I've heard of some good deals on refurb Foretrex's and was wondering what the experience with them is? I realize that it doesn't have maps and all the bells and whistles that my unit does but is the accuracy good enough that he won't be wondering off in left field? Any other experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks

A friend has a Foretrex and likes it a lot . . . However, her laptop doesn't have a Serial Port, so when I was showing her how to use GSAK to get the information into her Palm, and her GPSr . . . that turned out to be a little problem . . . :lol:

I saw that part about no USB. I'll have to check the computers at home and see if we even have a serial connection anymore.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a foretrex 101. It's functions are basic, but it works just fine. Being able to wear it on your wrist is really nice. It's reception is decent, though it's not quite as good as my explorist 300. I haven't had it under heavy leaf cover yet either. I like the satellite tracking screen on the foretrex better than the explorist's because it gives you a better idea as to what the constellation looks like. It also tells you which satellites it has differential data for. (I'm using the 'advanced' screen) The foretrex gives you the opportunity to switch WAAS off if you choose.

The screen on the foretrex is just black and white. There's doesn't appear to be any grey scale. The upside to this is that it's very sharp, clear, and easy to read. With out an internal map, I'm not sure that there is a down side to this type of screen. The back lighting is an amber color; again, clear and easy to read.

I've compared my foretrex and my explorist 300 for accuracy. In my impromptu non-scientific observations, the foretrex seemed to wander a bit more in the time shortly after they were switched on. Given 20 minutes or so to acquire more satellites, the two units reported the same location within .001-.002'.

I haven't measured the battery life for my foretrex, but I can tell you it's significantly less than my explorist's. I would think that a fresh set should take you through a day of caching. Carry spares. BTW, that's a good arguement for the foretrex 101 vs. the 201. The 101 will allow you to change batteries.

I use one of those USB to serial adapters with my laptop to communicate with the foretrex. I've had to re-install the driver a few times or re-tell the computer which port to use. Other than that, it hasn't been a problem.

YMMV

Well, tried out the foretrex today, works great, found 2 caches with it. When comparing the location to my 60csx it might be different by a 0.001 or 0.002 on the location but then again who's to say which is more accurate. I haven't been around enough GPSr's to have a feeling for that if there is even a right answer. The foretrex at times (especially in the car) reported better accuracy then the 60CSx but I recall a review somewhere stating that Garmin may have changed how they calculate accuracy in some of the newer GPSrs. Next time out I'll give it a try both in an open field and under tree cover. Entering coordinates actually seems easier then on the 60, instead of the 4 way rocker moving around the number pad it's a simple highlite the digit and up and down to the required value.

The one negative of the whole experience of buying what is probably a re-furb from Aldi's is that it's missing the serial cable to connect to the computer. I went back to Aldi's today and with the help of the manager went through the boxes of 4 more (yes they had at least that many more) but none of them had the cable. So tomorrow I'll contact Garmin and see about ordering a replacement.

Overall I'm very happy with the capabilities for the price paid.

I have purchased a total of 3 Foretrex 101s from Aldi's for $49. None of them came with cables and all were brand new, not refurbished. I ordered a cable from somewhere on the Internet (sorry don't remember where). One I sold to my parent's who are just starting out geocaching, the other two my kids and/or wife use. I use a 60Csx and accuracy is not an issue as they usually find the caches before I do as they are running ahead of me. When hiking or backpacking I will wear one of the Foretrexes to keep an eye on things, and only pull out the 60Csx for an occasional map check. In other words I have had very good luck with my Foretrexes plus you can't beat the price. :)

Hi, all you Foretrex users.

I have the forerunner 101 as a basic odometer/speedometer for running and ruck marching and it works fine.

BUT, what I'd really need is a realtime UTM screen. Do the foretrex have a coordinate 'field' we can put in a custom page?

I need my custom page to show me the UTM coord at all times... I have other civilian and military units that can do this, but to have it in Foretrex/forerunner wrist/strap anywere/hands free format would be awesome.