Disappearing maps on a GPSmap 60CSx

Ringo67

I've done a search and checked the FAQs and can't find anyone else with this problem, so here it is:

I just purchased a GPSmap 60CSx from Garmin with a SanDisk 2GB microSD card. I also have City Navigator and Topo maps. Earlier today I transferred about 53mb of maps of southeastern New England to my GPSr and drove to work.

Everything was fine until I turned on my GPSr. reset my trip computer and got ready to go home. I noticed less map detail, so I checked my map setup and the only one available was the "America's Marine Point Basemap," which I think is the default for the unit.

Any idea if I am doing something to cause the maps to disappear?

I'd really appreaciate any help.

Thanks in advance,

- Paul

First thing I would check,is make sure microSD card is seated.

I feel like such an idiot.

When I tried to download the maps to the unit again, it told me that the card was probably unseated. Funny thing is I had checked the card before and it looked fine, but I guess it wasn't in the slot all the way.

So you were right. Thanks for your help.

Now, totally embarrassed, I'll be on my way.

- Paul

When I tried to download the maps to the unit again, it told me that the card was probably unseated. Funny thing is I had checked the card before and it looked fine, but I guess it wasn't in the slot all the way.

This happens way too often for this unit. It really pisses me off. Hit a hard bump or something and it may come out. Ridiculous.

This happens way too often for this unit. It really pisses me off. Hit a hard bump or something and it may come out. Ridiculous.

This may be a stupid question Oz, but are you locking the card slot closed? With the metal Micro SD card cover in the locked position, the card should not shift even with the hardest bumps.

Edited by Glenn W

This may be a stupid question Oz, but are you locking the card slot closed? With the metal Micro SD card cover in the locked position, the card should not shift even with the hardest bumps.

I had this problem this week driving across I-80 in western PA. At one point I noticed no detailed maps. Stopped for gas and then they were back again. Then no detailed maps. At first I thought maybe I was in an area where there is no map detail (not a lot of detail needed!). But then as we made our way off the interstate through towns into Butler, PA the lack of detail started bothering me. I checked the map set up screen and sure enough, no listing of CS NA.

I powered the unit down and back up, and we were back in business. I checked the card cover this morning based on the posts above and everything is secure.

I upgraded to a 2Gb Trancend card a month ago. This is the first I have ever experienced this.

This happened to my GPS Map60csx all the time...loose memory card. I finally put a 2 gig card in with a drop of glue under it. I'm not taking it out...but it is in there now.

You didn't need to get that extreme, I just put in my 1gb card and put the useless 64mb card in ontop of it. I then put a small thin piece of rubbery plastic ontop both so it doesn't rattle and holds a slight pressure when the batteries are in.

when I take out the batteries it is wedged in there so well neither the makeshift cover or the extra card move at all.

A few days ago I purchased a 512mb cvard for my 60CX and loaded about 400MB of maps on it. Everything worked fine until one day I noticed no maps. I traced my problem down to when first starting up the GPS, I would hit enter at the first screen to go immediately to the sat page. For some reason when I did this, the maps did not load. If I allow the first start up screen to go away on it's own, I have no problems.