Quick Question

crtrue

I've searched and can't seem to find an easy answer to this. What is the largest possible coordinate in the WGS84 format?

N XX XX.XXX W XX XX.XXX?

It's a simple question and I usually don't have an issue finding things like this, but I need this information to do a modulus transformation on some coordinates (shifting up or down a number of times and rounding around when they reach zero or whatever top number there is in a coordinate). I'm working on making a one time pad for a cache and need to know where to wrap around -- I know it's not as simple as nine.

I really feel silly asking this but I just can't seem to find an answer -- queries for WGS84 turn up only technical information on the system itself, without mentioning the format.

I read the question as what is the highest possible numerical representation possible in the Latitude / Longitude Coordinate System (WGS84 is not a Format and has no bearing on the question).

Technically I would say N 90° 00.000 W 180° 00.000

The North Pole is N 90° and the South Pole is S 90° but try entering either directly into a GPS.

On my Garmin I can sort of spoof 90 in, but it won't take it as a direct entry.

W 180° and E 180° are both the same spot but you can't direct enter either.

You can't spoof them in either.

The highest direct entry it will accept is N 89° 59.999 W 179° 59.999

I read the question as what is the highest possible numerical representation possible in the Latitude / Longitude Coordinate System (WGS84 is not a Format and has no bearing on the question).

The North Pole is N 90° and the South Pole is S 90° but try entering either directly into a GPS.

Okay, that cleared some things up. The upper bound for each digit in a coordinate is then:

99 59.999 199 59.999

That'll help with my mod stuff.

Okay, that cleared some things up. The upper bound for each digit in a coordinate is then:

99 59.999 199 59.999

No. 99 59.999 199 59.999 is NOT what I posted.

The highest number at a Pole is 90°. That represents a 90 Degree angle between the Equator and the Pole.

If you go 1 more Degree it does not become 91 Degrees. It's 89 Degrees, just on the other side of the World.

There are 360 Degrees in a circle. Half a circle is 180 Degrees. Our two halves are designated East and West. Thats 180° in the West half and 180° in the East Half.

Those are the absolute maximums. Not 99 and not 199.

As Far as Minutes (or Seconds) it's just like a Clock. 57, 58, 59, 00, 01. No integer portion above 59, but any digit in the decimal portion can be a 9.

Got it?

99 59.999 199 59.999

No. 99 59.999 199 59.999 is NOT what I posted.

The highest number at a Pole is 90°. That represents a 90 Degree angle between the Equator and the Pole.

If you go 1 more Degree it does not become 91 Degrees. It's 89 Degrees, just on the other side of the World.

There are 360 Degrees in a circle. Half a circle is 180 Degrees. Our two halves are designated East and West. Thats 180° in the West half and 180° in the East Half.

Those are the absolute maximums. Not 99 and not 199.

As Far as Minutes (or Seconds) it's just like a Clock. 57, 58, 59, 00, 01. No integer portion above 59, but any digit in the decimal portion can be a 9.

Got it?

I read his question as more of a direct technology issue. 'What is the highest integer possible in each position: XX XX.XXX XXX XX.XXX.'

If this is an accurate understanding of the OP, he is correct with 99 59.999 199 59.999. (I think.)

I read his question as more of a direct technology issue. 'What is the highest integer possible in each position: XX XX.XXX XXX XX.XXX.'

If this is an accurate understanding of the OP, he is correct with 99 59.999 199 59.999. (I think.)

99 59.999 199 59.999 looks totally alien to me. But looking at it in the new light your post shines on it, I think you could be right. That combination can NEVER happen. But looking at them as individual entities, those are the correct maximums.

Now I have to wonder what the OP is going to do with that information.