Current hardware and your suggestions

blane64

I am new to this geocaching stuff, but am finding it addictive....

My current setup was actually purchased for automobile GPS, so may not be so hot for geocaching.

I have a Cingular 8525 (PocketPC phone) and a bluetooth GPS i-Blue 737, which uses the MTK chipset. I also use GPStuner and GPXsonar to manage my gpx files and guide me to the cache. I like the bluetooth GPS as it acquires fix quite rapidly, and I get excellent reception, commonly getting 8 satellites while sitting in my house. My limitation is that when I am walking slowly, my GPS unit does not give me reliable heading updates. I have to me moving around 4mph, which is a bit tough depending on terrain. So, I like the ability to go online on my cell phone to check the geocaching website, etc. I like being paperless, although that is not such a bit deal. I do not like having to practically RUN toward a cache to get an update. I look more than a little stupid running back and forth around a cache...

So, what I would like is a durable GPS unit that is handheld, and has an electronic compass that will give a reliable heading to the coordinates regardless of whether I am moving or not. I also don't want to lose much in regards to my GPS chipset as far as TTFF, and reliable performance with overhead obstructions, etc.

Give me you opinion...

BTW, I can afford $$$ but am reluctant to spend too much on what is a casual hobby at this time. I really don't care about color, bells and whistles...just performance.

Thanks

I love my Garmin GPSMAP 76CSx. I know you said you don't care about color but you might be surprised at how much easier the color makes it to read the display. The unit is water tight (it floats) and has an electronic compass. It can store quite a few waypoints and, if you add in a 2GB microSD card, you can store a lot of additional custom POIs (points of interest) as well as street level maps for all of North America and Puerto Rico. (You need to buy the maps separately.) I use mine for geocaching and also for navigating to other towns and around them when I get there. I'll be using it for my upcoming trip to Oregon, Washington, Idaho, and Montana. I may get into Nevada and Wyoming. I love knowing that, wherever I go, I have maps of all the streets in all the towns.

The unit uses the SiRF III chipset and gets very reliable readings. I can get quite a few satellites sitting at my desk inside my house. It's not the cheapest unit out there but you said you can afford something nice. I'm not what you would call well off by any means and I managed to get one. I think it was worth every penny.

Edited by Thrak

My limitation is that when I am walking slowly, my GPS unit does not give me reliable heading updates. I have to me moving around 4mph, which is a bit tough depending on terrain.

You already have what you need. What you need to do is figure out how to turn off "static navigation" in your bluetooth GPS i-Blue 737. Then you will get updates even when stationary.

Edit; Here is a link to the program I used on my Asus Mypal 632 to turn off static navigation on my gps.

http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

I would also take alook at BeelineGPS for geocaching.

I don't know if either program will run on your Cingular 8525 but it is worth a look.

Edited by yyzdnl

My limitation is that when I am walking slowly, my GPS unit does not give me reliable heading updates. I have to me moving around 4mph, which is a bit tough depending on terrain.

You already have what you need. What you need to do is figure out how to turn off "static navigation" in your bluetooth GPS i-Blue 737. Then you will get updates even when stationary.

Edit; Here is a link to the program I used on my Asus Mypal 632 to turn off static navigation on my gps.

http://w5.nuinternet.com/s660100031/SirfTech.htm

I would also take alook at BeelineGPS for geocaching.

I don't know if either program will run on your Cingular 8525 but it is worth a look.

Thanks for the advice. unfortunately, the SIRF chipsets seems to be much more adjustable than this MTK. I had better results with it over lunch, but still may look for a standalone GPS unit.

I really like the smaller size of my Garmin Vista C. The current version is the Cx. It is not as sensitive as the 60 CSx or the 76 CSx, but it works very well, can auto-route me around with the City Navigator maps installed, the size is convenient, and the lower price is nice. :anitongue:

I really like the smaller size of my Garmin Vista C. The current version is the Cx. It is not as sensitive as the 60 CSx or the 76 CSx, but it works very well, can auto-route me around with the City Navigator maps installed, the size is convenient, and the lower price is nice. <_<

I 2nd the Vista...and I have the CX which does take the memory card. So far it has worked flawlessly for me. I will tell you, though, that the trees have not filled in around here yet. I'm a little nervous as to how my performance might degrade with full tree coverage but keeping my fingers crossed.

But I will also tell you, I love this unit SO much, form factor, joy stick, screen, etc., that if Garmin came out with an updated version tomorrow that has the SiRF III chipset, I would buy it immediately. I do believe the SiRF III performs better, though as I said, what I'm using so far has worked flawlessly. I've used another GPS unit with SiRF III along side a regular Garmin and the SiRF III kept signal in places that the Garmin lost signal.