'net-less Caching

crtrue

I'm plotting a little adventure, so to speak, where I'm going to leave home and basically travel and work my way around the United States, and I was trying to think up ways to visit caches in areas I hit without always having to find an internet connection to work from.

I call it a root log, and basically what it does, essentially, is list the coordinates for other nearby root logs. In other words, by finding root logs from other root logs, you could make your way across an area by a series of waypoints established at other locations, without a need for an area search online.

Useless in its own accord, since you can move across the United States without waypoints, but the idea here is that root logs can have additional coordinates to smaller logs, ones that list Geocaches (obviously not going to be the most up-to-date list, but can list, say, some of the grander or more interesting caches), places to check out (think waymarkings), and stuff like that. When you're done, you simply move on to the next root log, find information about the local area from the log, and go from there.

Obviously the log would need to be in a secure location, as losing too many root logs in one area could be obnoxious to anyone making their way across the country using them. They would also need to be maintained moreso than your average geocache, since any form of vandalism could send an unsuspecting individual on the wrong path (no system is perfect in this respect, so this isn't a problem solely of the root log system).

Outside of that, though, I think it's a pretty neat idea and am curious about feedback. I might place an experimental root log here in Myrtle Beach soon, and if anyone lives within 100 miles, I welcome them to comment and help in placing another log. Also, if someone finds an Achille's Heel in this whole system, I also welcome them to point it out -- I'm not on a power trip about this becoming the next GPS fad, I just want to see if this could work.