New & Learning

NotallwhowanderRlost

Hi Everyone!

Please bear with me...I'm new...and at times technically challenged ;)

To start, I'm planning on getting my first GPS in the next couple of days. Other than the GPS do I need any special computer programs to do this? Second, how do Bugs and Coins work? Can I send my bug out into the world and ask people to take digital pix and send them to me via email? OR do I have to send my bug out into the world with a camera and pre-paid self addressed envelope? I'd like to just send my bug out into the world and not expect to get him back-but let him travel to places I have never been and have his travels documented. (I work with kids and thought that this would be a cool way to get them to see places they have never known and may or may not ever get to) Do people do this? Or is it a no no??? :cry:

OK so, finally...how do I start? I have my log in...I'm getting my GPS and should be ready to go as soon as it gets a little warmer (ok I'm a wimp when it comes to cold weather...even with layers and gortex...I'm not ashamed to admit it!!!)

Thank you for all of your help!!! I look forward to chatting with you all

notallwhowanderRlost

Welcome to the addiction! ;)

If the GPSr you are getting connects to your computer, you will need software to facilitate transfering the waypoints you download from the website to your GPSr.

EasyGPS is very easy to use. GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) is a database program many people use after they have become Premim Members and start getting Pocket Queries.

To get started, you could download Google Earth and check where the caches are on that. Sometimes, if you are familiar with the area, you can tell from Google Earth right where the cache might be. You can do that from your warm house while you wait for the snow to melt. :cry:

The Travel Bugs and coins travel from cache to cache with the cachers who pick them up. Some cachers are better about taking pictures than others, but you could put that in bold as the goal and maybe more cachers will try to remember to do that.

Welcome to the fun! As usual, Miragee has provided a wealth of good info. I would add that after you download Google Earth, you will also want to download the Google Earth browser, which is available on your "My Account" page, about 1/2 to 2/3 of the way down on the right hand side, on the Geocaching site. It will show you the locations of caches with icons on the map. Also, here is the link to the travel bug FAQ. Click Here It has some good info on it.

As for how to start, after you get your GPS, and have figured out which caches you want to find (I would recommend that you stick with lower difficulty/terrain ratings at first, and regular containers, not micros) and have the waypoints downloaded into your gps, just go out there and get ya' some! In the meantime, like Miragee said, stay inside, warm and dry, read these forums, there is a great amount of info available here, don't be afraid to ask questions. Most importantly, I feel, is have fun!!! Remember that you are only looking for tupperware in the woods, not the Holy Grail. Relax, go with the flow, and soon you'll be an old hand at this!

Thanks for the info!

I'm waiting patiently to get my GPS...I can't wait!!! (extra bonus money from work!!!) I've been surfing these boards all morning! I'm sure I'll have more questions.

I guess I'll have to look for software....Miragee suggested EasyGPS...how do I become a premium member? Is this something I pay for??? Ok I guess I've got some work to do...buy I have psych homework too...oh the decisions!!!

:)

I would strongly recommend becoming a Premium Member $30 a year but well worth it. Scrol down to the create upgrade box on the geocaching.com home page and check it out. Premium membership will allow you to download free software for use with your new GPS'r. Click on the resources button then Geocaching Software link to see all that is available, I prefer GSAK. Have fun this is a great sport, hobby, or maybe an addiction.