Comparing Two Magellans

I have been using a eXporist 100 for over a year with great results. Easy to use and larger lettering/numbers than a Garmin Legend.

I just bought a 210 for the connectivity and maps (even though I haven't used these features yet).

I turned both units on and placed them side-by-side to compare the readings.

Although the readings on the GPSr units were very close (within a couple hundreds of a decimal minute) I would have expected almost identical readings. The reading would wander a bit due to satellite geometry but remain very close together (both lat and long).

eg:

100 - 49-XX.xx2 119-XX.xx2

210 - 49-XX.xx4 119-XX.xx1

Is this normal? Since they are both Magellans, placed in the same location with the same exposure to the sky, wouldn't the readings be nearly identical?

I have been using a eXporist 100 for over a year with great results. Easy to use and larger lettering/numbers than a Garmin Legend.

I just bought a 210 for the connectivity and maps (even though I haven't used these features yet).

I turned both units on and placed them side-by-side to compare the readings.

Although the readings on the GPSr units were very close (within a couple hundreds of a decimal minute) I would have expected almost identical readings. The reading would wander a bit due to satellite geometry but remain very close together (both lat and long).

eg:

100 - 49-XX.xx2 119-XX.xx2

210 - 49-XX.xx4 119-XX.xx1

Is this normal? Since they are both Magellans, placed in the same location with the same exposure to the sky, wouldn't the readings be nearly identical?

No, not at all. I own an Explorist 500 and 600 and have owned the 100 and 200 and the Merigold. It isn't unusual at all for 2 units, even identical ones to vary slightly in readings. In optimal conditions I have checked my GPSr against fellow geocachers and have often found slight variances in accuracy. I hope this helps.