Destroyed Marks

AZcachemeister

OK, you found a monument uprooted, so the disk is now worthless as a benchmark, and you remove it.

You report your findings to the NGS, and Deb agrees it's destroyed, but says 'Hold on to it for later recovery'.

What do you do with it?

Leave it as-is (with the stem intact), or cut the stem off and make a paperweight or plaque out of it?

I have two of them, but I don't think I want to start a collection.

Gently sleeve them onto short rebar and add bronze mushrooms to your garden...

Sharpen the stem, invert them, and use them as paper spikes on your desktop...

If you own an SUV with cutouts in the bumper for fog lamps (but didn't pay the extra $600 to install them) you could bolt them into the housing openings for a one of a kind benchmark recovery vehicle effect (USGS caps would fit nicely in my empty fog lamp housings on my Dodge Nitro's front bumper)

It's the benchmark blingbling accessory we all need - kind of like geo-grilles for your geo-ride...

Or... hold on to them until the semi-mythical field team from USGS shows up to reset them, and get another log on the resets!

Sorry... couldn't resist the alternative usage suggestions... love the mushroom in the garden idea...

Deb actually told you to hold on to it for later recovery?

I've got a couple of them and she has always just told me to keep them.

I have seen a few people try to sell markers on eBay, but eBay usually cancels the bidding before the deadline because of their policy of selling government property or something.

They do however have unused/unstamped marks from time to time for sale.

I think this is a subject matter to be extremely discrete about. B)

- agreed. There is one tri-station in a popular hikey/geocachey area near me where I deliberately avoided being overly precise w/ the RM info/pix in my CG log for fear that the remaining one might become a 'souvenir'. Also good that ebay does this policing..or maybe some 'GEOCAC' individuals do..otherwise there could be an unwanted 'cottage industry' springing up.. 'nuff said' B)

Deb actually told you to hold on to it for later recovery?

I've got a couple of them and she has always just told me to keep them.

I have seen a few people try to sell markers on eBay, but eBay usually cancels the bidding before the deadline because of their policy of selling government property or something.

They do however have unused/unstamped marks from time to time for sale.

Deb has yet to reply to my recent submission, but a friend of mine got that impression from her reply to his (or at least that was the impression he got).

I think this is a subject matter to be extremely discrete about. :(

- agreed. There is one tri-station in a popular hikey/geocachey area near me where I deliberately avoided being overly precise w/ the RM info/pix in my CG log for fear that the remaining one might become a 'souvenir'. Also good that ebay does this policing..or maybe some 'GEOCAC' individuals do..otherwise there could be an unwanted 'cottage industry' springing up.. 'nuff said' :huh:

:smile: YIKES! I really didn't want to imply that anyone should go around removing disks! I really doubt any of the 'souvenir hunters' are getting their ideas from this forum.

The funny thing is that Deb got the idea that my friend had MOVED the monument. Apparently there is a problem with people moving marks to where THEIR GPS says it 'should' be! :)

Yes, they do make nice prizes in Benchmarking contests! :D

I also found out that they have a nice ring when struck, so maybe a wind-chime is the answer.

I also have a disk now. It wasn't too hard to remove from the culvert that was demolished and tossed aside, but the angle I had to take to swing the sledgehammer made it harder. Got it loosed just as the light of day was lost. It was on a 2-3 " plug of copper that had a split end... I guess it was supposed to expand to hold it in there. I also love the mushroom garden idea.

Here's some more: Door pulls, Paper weights, (and the one I find most practical and valuable) the thing by which I explain to my friends what I go out on my weekends to look for while:

getting scratched up by greenbriar,

collecting ticks,

being a feast for chiggers (red bugs)'

getting sunburned,

meeting the friendliest land owners,

getting dehydrated,

learning history,

going broke paying for gas,

waving to lots of train operators,

clearing the forest of spider webs with my face....

and getting lots of exercise.

Now if I could just get paid for this....

Barry

aka Doc Geo