Saving just the "visible" tracks ?

I did some hiking in a nearby State Park last weekend, and was using tracks to mark the trails. As I would reach the end of a trail, I would turn off the tracking, so it wouldn't show the return tracks going back to the begining of the trail, I covered quite a few trails, turning the tracking on, and off as needed to keep the display nice & neat.

My problem is, when I went to save the tracks, (so I could bring them back up the next time I visist this park), it saved everything, including all of the tracks from when I was walking around with the tracking turned off. So now it shows up as quite a jumbled mess on the screen. But the original tracks I have are nice and neat.

Is there any way to just save what is showing on the screen? & not everything else?

I played around on the computer using mapsource, but couldn't figure out how to get rid of all the extra tracks showing up.

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

I did some hiking in a nearby State Park last weekend, and was using tracks to mark the trails. As I would reach the end of a trail, I would turn off the tracking, so it wouldn't show the return tracks going back to the begining of the trail, I covered quite a few trails, turning the tracking on, and off as needed to keep the display nice & neat.

My problem is, when I went to save the tracks, (so I could bring them back up the next time I visist this park), it saved everything, including all of the tracks from when I was walking around with the tracking turned off. So now it shows up as quite a jumbled mess on the screen. But the original tracks I have are nice and neat.

Is there any way to just save what is showing on the screen? & not everything else?

I played around on the computer using mapsource, but couldn't figure out how to get rid of all the extra tracks showing up.

Any help / comments would be appreciated.

Sounds like you should have just saved each tract and named it as you were going instead of turning tracking off. Then you could have cleared your tracks before you began the next trail.

You can edit tracks in Garmins software. You use the set of tools with the pencil, eraser, ect. I have edited several tracts before.

Do you have the latest Mapsource update from the Garmin site? It is a huge file, so I hope you don't have dialup . . . faint.gif It adds lots more functionality to track editing.

I don't save the tracks on my GPSr because I understand you lose data that way. After a caching adventure, I download the tracks from my GPSr to my computer, then I edit the track. I haven't tried sending a track back to my GPSr yet . . . I need to try that out someday.

This is what the track and profile looked like for a recent hike:

c59817aa-8a7a-418d-a59a-b078e85ff5a9.jpg

Thanks for the responses, I removed the "extra" stuff on Mapsource when I put it on there, then deleted the saved tracks form my GPS. Sent the editd tracks back to the GPS, and it came up with everything again.

I was just hoping that I could save the "clean" version of tracks, so it would be easier to navigate on the trails when I go back.

BTW.... I was hoping the Topo would have the trails marked already when I bought it. but nothing there. It is Starved Rock State Park in Utica, IL.

Anyone know if there is anywhere I could get a GPS map of the trails in there?

I spend alot of time hiking there, so I know my way around a little, but it sure would be nice to have all the trails marked on my GPS.

Edited by ILBandit