Need help with Explorist 210...

gifron

I've been using the 210 for over a year now, but really I've just been limping along. The so-called documentation that came with it is pretty worthless - No, it's downright worthless. Further, the software that was packaged with it, seems to allow only one cache listing per open application, even though it appears to be formatted for, and have other functions applicable to, a multiple cache listing. This requires me to load each cache individually from the PC to the 210.

I'm sure I could be doing much more, in a significantly more efficient method, than I am now. Is there a good guide to using this unit for caching? Caching is my only GPS activity, so no prior experience should be assumed.

Many thanks!

You know what? I had the same problem plus a couple others. I am used to a Magellan GPS 310 unit that doesn't have all the beels and whistles. (My GPS 310 decided that it would lock onto sats but lose them if you moved a couple yards in any direction. Bummer.) When I was back east in the DC area these past couple weeks I decided to purchase a new unit. Anyway, I picked up an Xplorist 210, because the reviews were good) and I had the same issue. It looks like you might be able to upload more than one but it only allows one at a time via the included software. Along with this issue and the lack of its street mapping I took it back and got my cash back. Is there a software upload area on the Magellan website? I am sure this vexes others with the Xplorist as well. Good luck!

It is possible to upload several caches at once with the Magellan software. How are you currently downloading cache info from the site? When you search are you selecting several caches on the results page, and then clicking the 'Download Waypoints' button? That prompts you to save the .loc file, which you can then open with the Magellan Geocache Manager and see all those selected caches, then upload them.

Or, you can add more caches to that list by going to the next page of results, downloading that .loc file, click Open in the Manager (which should be open already and showing the first list), and Append it to the existing list (button on the Open pop-up window) then upload that to the 210. (Am I explaining this right, guys?) :blink:

I used to do it that way but upped to Premium Member status, and now I use Pocket Queries, which most will tell you is the only way to fly.

I have found the online manual a bit better than the printed one I got.

http://www.magellangps.com/assets/manuals/...rist_210_en.pdf

Also some help here:

http://www.mtgc.org/robertlipe/exploristwiki/index.php

Redcoyote12,

Nope. I've been going to individual cache pages, and downloading them one at a time. Sounds like you've got the solution to that problem.

Wow! An actual manual of more than four pages! That should be a lot of help too.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

Edited by gifron

Redcoyote12,

Nope. I've been going to individual cache pages, and downloading them one at a time. Sounds like you've got the solution to that problem.

Wow! An actual manual of more than four pages! That should be a lot of help too.

MANY THANKS!!!!!!

Awesome, glad I could help. Yeah, I was surprised as how extensive the online manual is vs. the one in the box. I wonder if they will update that now that the new firmware is out with added screens.

It is possible to upload several caches at once with the Magellan software. How are you currently downloading cache info from the site? When you search are you selecting several caches on the results page, and then clicking the 'Download Waypoints' button? That prompts you to save the .loc file, which you can then open with the Magellan Geocache Manager and see all those selected caches, then upload them.

Or, you can add more caches to that list by going to the next page of results, downloading that .loc file, click Open in the Manager (which should be open already and showing the first list), and Append it to the existing list (button on the Open pop-up window) then upload that to the 210. (Am I explaining this right, guys?) :D

I used to do it that way but upped to Premium Member status, and now I use Pocket Queries, which most will tell you is the only way to fly.

Also some help here:

Not sure how all this works , I upgraded to premium member to use Pocket Querys and thought that they would load .gpx files that contain hints and difficulty ,etc but can only seeem to load the files that cotain the regular page . what am I doing wrong? Do I need some other software other than Geocache manager?

Or, you can add more caches to that list by going to the next page of results, downloading that .loc file, click Open in the Manager (which should be open already and showing the first list), and Append it to the existing list (button on the Open pop-up window) then upload that to the 210. (Am I explaining this right, guys?) :D

Also some help here: