PalmE2+GPSlim236+GeoNiche=Accuracy?

After using an eXplorist 400 which leads me right on top of the cache just about every time, I have recently switched to a PalmE2+GPSlim236+GeoNiche. After using this combo during a few outings under different conditions I have found it nearly impossible to use when standing within 50 feet of a cache. It works great when driving but when I get close to the cache my needle spins everywhere except in the right direction and distance to waypoint jumps around +-50'. This makes the cache difficult to pinpoint so I end up busting out my eXplorist to get the fine direction. My problem, and the reason that I seek advice from this post, is that I don’t know which direction to take to troubleshoot this, here is what I was thinking:

1. GPSlim 236 is crappy, get another bluetooth GPS receiver. (which one)

2. Do something to tune GeoNiche, maybe switch to cachemate and cachenav.

3. That’s as good as it gets with a palm and bluetooth gps. Finally buy a 60csx.

-Thanks in advance

It's probably a setting in Geoniche, but I don't use it and can't help with it. The GPS sends position info to the Palm, and the software there does the display. Perhaps the Geoniche manual has some more information...

I don't have that problem with either CacheNav or CetusGPS on my T3/Legend combo.

Edited by NightPilot

Thanks NightPilot. I loaded up cachenav and cachemate but unfortunately I am getting the exact same results. The GPSlim 236 is shipped without WAAS enabled and I ran through the process of turning it on. I wonder if that may be the problem because it’s hard to tell if it is actually enabled or not. Also since purchasing the unit I have come across a lot of posts with negative comments about the GPSlim 236. I think I’m gonna have to spring for a different bluetooth gps unit just to test my setup. What would help me the most at this point is feedback on if I should be seeing comparable accuracy with the PalmE2+GPSlim236+GeoNiche combo as I do with the eXplorist 400.

Without WAAS, probably no. WAAS uimprove the accuracy somewhat. If it is enabled, then the accuracy should probably be fairly close. You have to compare the accuracy at the same time and place, though, since it will vary a lot as different satellites pass overhead in different configurations.