Garmin POI Loader and displayed icons

N55340

New to geocaching but not new to the GPS world. I'm trying to upload points from a pocket query to a KNA-G510 and have the cache icons displayed. I'm using POI Loader and using either the raw .gpx file or washing it through EasyGps or GSAK and getting the same results. The points show up as little green balls instead of the little cache boxes I'm trying to get.

The KNA-G510 is a Kenwood piece, I suspect it is the same as the Garmin GVN 52. Garmin supports the Kenwood unit but are clueless on this topic. It is not that big a deal, but it is nice to drive along and see the caches in the distance in case I want to stop. I've had no issues getting this to work with my Nuvi or any of my other Garmin products.

I was looking at one thread and it talked about creating .bmp files for the POI Loader. I can't seem to find any FAQs on Garmin's site and if I click on Help in POI Loader, it is not found.

If someone could kick me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

New to geocaching but not new to the GPS world. I'm trying to upload points from a pocket query to a KNA-G510 and have the cache icons displayed. I'm using POI Loader and using either the raw .gpx file or washing it through EasyGps or GSAK and getting the same results. The points show up as little green balls instead of the little cache boxes I'm trying to get.

The KNA-G510 is a Kenwood piece, I suspect it is the same as the Garmin GVN 52. Garmin supports the Kenwood unit but are clueless on this topic. It is not that big a deal, but it is nice to drive along and see the caches in the distance in case I want to stop. I've had no issues getting this to work with my Nuvi or any of my other Garmin products.

I was looking at one thread and it talked about creating .bmp files for the POI Loader. I can't seem to find any FAQs on Garmin's site and if I click on Help in POI Loader, it is not found.

If someone could kick me in the right direction, it would be appreciated.

Sorry for the post/double post. I figured out my problem. Windows Vista! Went back to a XP machine and the POI help files came up just fine. Figured out how to include a .bmp file. Still dealing with transparancy issues but I'm on the right track.

You might want to take a look at the newest version of POIloader (2.4.0.1 Beta). It should fix the transparency issue, at least on Garmin units.

Get it from Garmin here.

From the release notes:

Changes made from version 2.4.0.0 Beta to 2.4.0.1 Beta:

* Added support for Garmin Mobile XT.

* Added support for magenta as transparency color in 256 color bitmaps.

ProsperoDK/René