Caching in Europe

I am sure this has been brought up before but my search failed me. we are planning a trip to germany and ireland and I would love to snag some caches while there. Yet when I look them up (in germany) they are all in german. Hmmm not so good with that language. How do we dodge this issue?? thanks!!

I am sure this has been brought up before but my search failed me. we are planning a trip to germany and ireland and I would love to snag some caches while there. Yet when I look them up (in germany) they are all in german. Hmmm not so good with that language. How do we dodge this issue?? thanks!!

You can't? People in Germany are going to post in German, so either cozy up with a local Geocacher who can speak English as a second language, or get comfortable with the translations from Babelfish. Just look at it like every cache is a puzzle!

Hi if you like I can help you with the translation on the german ones

Nixno9

As a rule all cache descriptions should be made in the local languages and english and use metric units when needed.

This is the beauty of geocaching, to be able to carry on all over the world but we must agree on a common language and measurement standard, as in science, technology, business.

Besides it is not a formidable task as many geocachers are fluent in more than one language.

The automatic translation tools are most of the time a real pain that makes a two stars cache a five stars ! biggrin.gif

Yet when I look them up (in germany) they are all in german.

Yes, unfortunately a lot of cache listings in Germany are german only. But by no means all, there are still a lot around which are either bilingual or in english only. Since geocaching.com doesn't support multiple language listings, there is no way to filter for them automatically though.

If you use GSAK, you can do a fulltext search for "englisch" and "english" - most listings in Germany mention if they are available in english.

Edited by eigengott

If you check which caches you would liek to gather before you start your trip you could contact the cache owner and ask if they might give you an english description.

I have seen many caches with the hint that english descriptions can be send on request.

Also, I could help with translations for some german caches, if you need help.

Edited by Astartus

Cool Beans! Thanks for all the tips and offers for translating. Our trip is not until July but I'm sure yall know how its goes. "Ooo lets look for caches where we are going to be!!) Abit down the road some of you just might be getting PMs to help translate the caches. THANKS!

Happy hunting in Europe :-) We have visited several caches in (northern)Germany. Some of them "passing by" on vacation, others on a genuine all-day(night, or more..)trip just to find _it_ :-)

Especially, in Northern Germany, cache- descriptions are often written in German and English,

sometimes in Danish. I know, it won't help you much :-)

If the caches you plan to visit are written in an odd language you just don't understand, try to contact the owner. We know quite a few German cachers that would be happy to send you the essentials for understanding fx. a multi..

We might also be able to some translation- job..

Been there, with succes :-)

Kindly, ojsel

Sorry about my bad English

:-)

Cool Beans! Thanks for all the tips and offers for translating. Our trip is not until July but I'm sure yall know how its goes. "Ooo lets look for caches where we are going to be!!) Abit down the road some of you just might be getting PMs to help translate the caches. THANKS!

We are going over to Germany the last week of June-first week of July too. I was wondering the same thing. I wonder if we will see each other. I'll look for you carrying around a GPS.