Lost My Bug

Attwin

Hi all, yes I know there is a whole community of cachers grieving for their lost TB's, but I have a question so facile no one else seems to have needed to ask it .

I am not as adept at computorising as most on this site,yet my one and only TB Cowboy Jim has been lost at a destroyed cache in Germany ; I just hope he died with his boots on.

The cache owner e-mailed me saying I could use the copy only I am not sure exactly how - that is ; should I attatch it to another and have him go off as the same TB ? If so, what happens to the mileage calculation etc.

Or do I re-write the TB page for him as TB #2 and start again from scratch but using the same tracking code?

Don't laugh, I did warn you, Attwin. :P

Hi all, yes I know there is a whole community of cachers grieving for their lost TB's, but I have a question so facile no one else seems to have needed to ask it .

I am not as adept at computorising as most on this site,yet my one and only TB Cowboy Jim has been lost at a destroyed cache in Germany ; I just hope he died with his boots on.

The cache owner e-mailed me saying I could use the copy only I am not sure exactly how - that is ; should I attatch it to another and have him go off as the same TB ? If so, what happens to the mileage calculation etc.

Or do I re-write the TB page for him as TB #2 and start again from scratch but using the same tracking code?

Don't laugh, I did warn you, Attwin. :P

You can do whatever you like with your copy. What I do with my lost TBs is use the same name and call the second version II or Jr. You can give it the same mission or give it a new mission. I usually don't like to send the "copy" tag into the wild so I just photo copy it and laminate the copy and add it to the hitchhiker. Also, I make a note in the mission or description that the first version was loss and this is the second version.

You can delete all logs and start over at ZERO milage, but be prepared to explain what you are doing to a few cachers who follow stats.

I hope this helps...there is NO reason not to continue your TB despite the original being lost. You paid the money for the #, let it travel.

Just my opinion.

Ron

The Justice League of NM

Hold on now, deleting logs affects everybody who found your bug and moved it on. You would be deleting their stories and well as the stat they got for moving the bug.

You can release the copy tag and either continue the mission or you can write up a new one without deleting any logs.

Hold on now, deleting logs affects everybody who found your bug and moved it on. You would be deleting their stories and well as the stat they got for moving the bug.

You can release the copy tag and either continue the mission or you can write up a new one without deleting any logs.

Correct, that is why I put be prepared to hear from some cachers. But it is HIS travel bug, he has the right to delete the logs if he choses. I didn't say it was necessary.

I have deleted some logs on lost bugs before and did get a couple of emails. I don't do geocaching for the stats, but I do understand that some people are into that. But it was my Tb and wanted to restart it from scratch. I have other missing tbs that I just kept the old logs and started a new mission. As owner of the TB, you have that choice.

That wasn't meant to be personal.

I am simply comparing two (what I consider) negative behaviors.

Just because someone can act like a jerk doesn’t mean people have to sit back and let them act like one. That may be their right, but it has consequences, usually in social areas. And we don't walk around telling people it's okay to be rude simply because it's a right.

Now as to the right of a TB owner, I don’t think it’s courteous to delete other people logs just because someone wants to set their mileage to zero, and doing so may have consequences.

And that’s my opinion.

Edited by BlueDeuce

A person also has the right to be a jerk but if asked I would recommend against it.

edit: clarification

OUCH! :P

You're a hard one to figure out here on the boards. Everytime I post something you shoot me down. I can't recall ever doing anything to deserve the treatment you give me here.

Er , thanks Justice , I see what you mean. I sure am glad you got to me first giving me a clear well rounded answer. Also I appreciate the fact that in the wording of your answer you were respectful enough to give my intelligence the benefit of the doubt when it comes to the choice of whether to delete or not .

Keep up the politeness, it is only polite to approach potentially provocative postulations with provident politeitudeness !

I, personally would not delete the logs of the TB, as others have seen the TB. As well, say you had a TB that started in South America, and went to North America. If you released the copy in South America, it would gain tons of mileage that it didn't really cover. To avoid this, you could mail it to someone in the vicinity of the cache that it was taken from.

Just some suggestions, what I would do.

GT