Newbie in Southeast TX

Buckazznkdntx

Just wanted to say howdy to everyone. Bought a Garmin 60CSX last week and had no clue why I needed one. Mainly bought it for travel and installed MetroGuide on it. Well after doing some searching I found Geocache and have to say at first I thought how stupid. Well let's just say, two days later, 4 finds, and sitting in the woods today like a kid in Christmas trying to figure out which rubber toy I wanted :blink: I am now hooked. Glad to have found my new hobby.

Well let's just say, two days later, 4 finds, and sitting in the woods today like a kid in Christmas trying to figure out which rubber toy I wanted :blink: I am now hooked. Glad to have found my new hobby.

I understand exactly how you feel. I was fortunate to be given a Garmin eTrex Legend, and also wondered what I was going to use it for. Well, on my second find (the first was a micro) I was faced with a container of toys, and regretted not having anything to exchange, so with head hung low just signed the log, and resolved to have a collection in my car at all times.

I now have a pile of caches printed for the areas near my job, and my home, (for the quick fixes) and am planning a few walks into nature in the very near future.

Good Luck

Laurence

Mainly bought it for travel and installed MetroGuide on it.

Not to deliver bad news, but MetroGuide (post V4) doesn't allow your unit to autoroute. Autorouting is one of the most useful features of the unit, particularly for travel. You want City Navigator or City Select which both support autorouting Perhaps you can sell your MetroGuide in Ebay and purchasee CN or CS (City Navigator is the current offering).

Anyway, welcome to the sport!

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching. It may start out as a hobby, but watch out. It quickly becomes an obsession. Of course, if on the third day you're sitting in the woods feeling like a kid at Christmas, I think you may already be edging into the addiction phase. Welcome and have fun!

-CJ

Not to deliver bad news, but MetroGuide (post V4) doesn't allow your unit to autoroute. Autorouting is one of the most useful features of the unit, particularly for travel. You want City Navigator or City Select which both support autorouting Perhaps you can sell your MetroGuide in Ebay and purchasee CN or CS (City Navigator is the current offering).

Not sure what you mean by autorouting I am assuming you type in start and finish address and it sets the route up for you.

Not sure what you mean by autorouting I am assuming you type in start and finish address and it sets the route up for you.

Sort of. You type in your destination, whether its coordinates, a business/service in the database or an address and the unit will set the route up for you and give you turn by turn driving directions there. No need to input the start because the unit knows where you are.

I am right near Beaumont area. I host www.setxtrailerpark.com which should tell you exactly what town it is, lol.

I like your site.

I know that area pretty well. I actually used to date a girl that had some family around there, and I have spent a fair amount of time in that area myself. Anyway have fun with your new hobby. I have found that it is way cheaper than fishing, which is the only other thing I know of to do in that part of TX. :P