Micro / Nano TB without the standard tag

HartMan-CatWoman Team

I'd like to get some feedback on the concept of a Micro/Nano sized Travel Bug-hitchhiker.

The practical reason to make such a critter would be to be able to place them in very small caches. However, there is also the creative aspect of making something unusual and different for fun!

A regular TB tag would be purchased and registered, and then the Tracking Number would be inscribed in some way on the ultra small "bug" so hat it could be read, although it may take a magnifying glass to read it.

Alternatively, a tiny copy of the original tag could be made and used.

My main concern would be that when found, people would know what it is.

Size isn't the issue, it's identification.

Otherwise it sounds like fun.

I agree. If folks didn't know what it was, it could be lost as kid swag and grab, or stay in a cache for an unusally long time due to cachers not knowing it was intended to travel.

My main concern would be that when found, people would know what it is.

Size isn't the issue, it's identification.

Otherwise it sounds like fun.

I agree. If folks didn't know what it was, it could be lost as kid swag and grab, or stay in a cache for an unusally long time due to cachers not knowing it was intended to travel.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

I made a sample, and discovered I could read the text and see the TB icon well without a magnifier. My idea is that they would be limited to placement in small or micro caches so they would not become lost among the regular swag.

I realize that there is no guarantee that my request for travel and the types of caches they be placed in would be subject to the finders ethics. My experience with previous regular travel bugs is that I am lucky if one out of three last more than a year, so I would not expect any better odds with this new style.

However, I would love to give them a shot and give the hobby another variation just for the fun of it!

I've seen several variations of this in my area- number inscribed on the little item, or a mini tb tag made with shrinky plastic- I was able to figure out both, benefit of using a duplicate tag in essence to a registered tag is that you can reactivate again if the original item gets lost (and those little items do seem to get lost faster).

I was thinking of getting a small piece of aluminum and stamping (10-12 point font) the tb tracking number on it. This would fit into most Microcaches (Film cansiters).

What do you think?

*Sparky*

I am happy to report that the TB I made has been traveling around and enjoyed by everyone who has encountered it so far!

In fact, I made two others that I gave away to other Geocachers I know, and one of them has had similar good results!

You can see the travels of ours here

2ebe49e2-b9ae-4967-b172-e48a29e7aa0f.jpg

We used Phtotoshop to shrink the real TB dog tag and a photo of our team, and then added the text. The resulting printout was 1 inch x .78 inch and fit inside a clear vial that was intended to keep nitro tablets inside a pill fob. We used the pill fob for Micro/nano cache hides.

I was thinking of getting a small piece of aluminum and stamping (10-12 point font) the tb tracking number on it. This would fit into most Microcaches (Film cansiters).

What do you think?

*Sparky*

I am happy to report that the TB I made has been traveling around and enjoyed by everyone who has encountered it so far!

In fact, I made two others that I gave away to other Geocachers I know, and one of them has had similar good results!

You can see the travels of ours here

2ebe49e2-b9ae-4967-b172-e48a29e7aa0f.jpg

We used Phtotoshop to shrink the real TB dog tag and a photo of our team, and then added the text. The resulting printout was 1 inch x .78 inch and fit inside a clear vial that was intended to keep nitro tablets inside a pill fob. We used the pill fob for Micro/nano cache hides.

The area where I live thrive on micro hides. This size is still difficult for me locate. I avoid them since I am not into "how many" I find. The icro/nano hide would addsome interest to the hunt.

Would you mind sharing simple/detailed (oxymoron) instructions on how to make one? I would appreciate it immensely. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Would you mind sharing simple/detailed (oxymoron) instructions on how to make one? I would appreciate it immensely. :rolleyes:

Thanks.

Happy to help out.

Step 1, purchase a travel bug dog tag at Groundspeak Travel Bug order page

Step 2, scan or photograph the image of the bug

Step 3, using Photoshop Elements or similar photo editing software, crop the image to only the bug

Step 4, Using your photo editing software, create a new blank image and set the size to 1 inch x .78 inch

Step 5, Insert / add your TB image file into this new blank file, and reduce it's size as needed to fit, as shown on the photo I posted on the forum.

Step 6, add any other image you want to include using the same process as step 5

Step 7, Add the text, including the TB code from your ID tag.

Step 8, save and print out your new file.

Step 9, Purchase a pill fob that includes an inner vial. Typical eBay source for pill fobs

Step 10, Insert your paper and seal the vail lid, I used nail polish

Step 11, register your new Travel Bug per the instructions that came with the tags.