Portable Geocaching Programs?

Airmapper

My SanDisk Jump Drive (or USB Thumb Drive) has a program called U3 for managing the drive. It has the feature to run programs integrated into it on any computer you pop the drive in. (Provided you have the appropriate user privileges.)

I have been thinking it would be really nice to be able to have some Geocaching applications for the drive, that run and operate off the drive without needing to install it on the computer. It would be cool to have GSAK or EasyGPS on the drive, and ready to sort caches on any computer, be it yours or one you just have access to. You could grab cache info using Webmail and WiFi and load it to the drive as well.

I do know some apps will run straight from an .EXE without installing the program, and would probably work just as good. It may be possible already to install a program to your drive, I just don't know how.

Anyone else have any ideas?

You can use a program like a password organizer to save non-critical log-ons (i.e. none of your banking passwords, etc.) for logging onto websites while you're on the road.

You can use GSAK to export HTML for viewing caches on computers without internet access.

You can install some of the helper programs like Fizzymagic's geocalc.

Bookmarks! You can generally export all of your bookmarks as HTML so you can have access to those really esoteric webpages; need that one Navajo translation page? Maybe Klingon. Or the one really cool and simple explanation of an obscure cypher. You'll have them with you.

Backup of your GSAK data. Someone else might have a compatible version and you can use theirs.

Depending on your model of GPS you could have predefined Maps and other data to swap out with the GPS's data card on computers with a reader. (...or carry your own.)

For GPSs without a separate card, I'm sure there is a portable program that will read a GPX file and stuff it do you GPS. You can swap out groups of caches. Not as elegant as a portable GSAK, but would work in a pinch.

As far as running GSAK on a thumb drive ... check out this thread on the GSAK website.

I was surfing around while on some other projects and found you can create a full php environment with database on a UFD. There is no install and is completely stand alone. I immediately thought of this thread.

The possibilities are less than limited. Nearly anything you can do on a website, you can do on a thumbdrive. You can create a personal cache database for taking with you and plugging into any compatible computer. You can create hitch hikers that are interactive. You could create a digital logbook or even a completely digital cache. How about a script that is GPS aware and location triggers varying actions? A travel bug that tells the "ride" where it wants to be next!

I'm no programmer, so I don't fully understand how it works, but what your saying CR sounds pretty cool.

I assume something like that is bound to get used by cachers eventually, like the people who made Firefox extensions I use for these Forums and Geocaching.com.

Edited by Airmapper

GSAK will not work. It has some files that have to be install to the windows system. But maybe Clyde could change the routing, so it works?

Yes, I think it is time to revisit this thread. It would be great to have GSAK and related data files on a U3 thumb drive. I often go on trips where I need to download new waypoints into my GPS. It sure would be great having everything on a keyring thumbdrive. Maybe even a mapping program also.

Clyde has done wonders with GSAK and this would be a great update in this mobile world of ours. Geocaching and GSAK fit like hand to glove. Thanks to you both

Bob

rwsherlock and His Princess

My SanDisk Jump Drive (or USB Thumb Drive) has a program called U3 for managing the drive. It has the feature to run programs integrated into it on any computer you pop the drive in. (Provided you have the appropriate user privileges.)

I have been thinking it would be really nice to be able to have some Geocaching applications for the drive, that run and operate off the drive without needing to install it on the computer. It would be cool to have GSAK or EasyGPS on the drive, and ready to sort caches on any computer, be it yours or one you just have access to. You could grab cache info using Webmail and WiFi and load it to the drive as well.

I do know some apps will run straight from an .EXE without installing the program, and would probably work just as good. It may be possible already to install a program to your drive, I just don't know how.

Anyone else have any ideas?

Go to portableapps.com and make some suggestions, maybe they will work on them.