TomTom One for GeoCaching?

funfinder4

We've been geocaching for ~2 months now. I've been borrowing a simple GPS (Garmin eTrex yellow version) from work when it wasn't needed. We are looking at buying our own but we are also interested in getting one for the cars that does navigation.

Here's my question to you pros:

Is it a bad idea for us to buy something like the TomTom One to use for both in car navigation and also for geocaching?

Any input welcomed. <_<

We've been geocaching for ~2 months now. I've been borrowing a simple GPS (Garmin eTrex yellow version) from work when it wasn't needed. We are looking at buying our own but we are also interested in getting one for the cars that does navigation.

Is it a bad idea for us to buy something like the TomTom One to use for both in car navigation and also for geocaching?

Any input welcomed. <_<

TomTom One is Zero on geocaching. You'll have to run third party software to convert caches into "points of interest" and then load them on the TTO and will be able to route to them if they're close enough to a road. Then it's impossible to know in which direction the cache is and at what distance.

If you're looking for an interesting car navigation + offroad GPS, try the Garmin Zumo, Garmin quest or Garmin Nuvo. They'll do everything the TomTom does (and still be able to geocache). Or stick to the eTrex, because keeping it simple also enhances the hunt ;)

Any input welcomed. <_<

Im not sure you would want to be lugging something that size through brush where it most likely wont work anyway (off road). You may want to considser the Garmin GPSMAP 60csx which, when used with the optional city select software, has autoroutable door to door directions, plus you can use it off road (in the brush as well). Check it out here at http://www.garmin.com/products/gpsmap60csx/

Edited by Muddy and Amused

Thanks for the replies and listing the draw backs of a nav unit being used for geocaching.

So along the lines of keeping things simple I do like the layout of the etrex and the price ($98.00) but quickly found entering multiple waypoints tiresome.

How is the LOWRANCE I FINDER GO2 (http://www.lowrance.com/Outdoor/Products/iFINDERGO2.asp) compared to the Garmin brand? The Lowrance brand is only $1.00 more but looks to have the advantage of an optional PC link cable. From what I understand if the GPS can link to your pc then doesn't it make entering waypoints much easier?

Thanks

The PC data cable for the Lowrance iFinder GO2 sells for $35. Although the Lowrance web site mentions this cable as an accessory for the GO2, the use of the cable is undocumented and unsupported, as far as Lowrance is concerned. If you are willing to spend $135 for the sake of PC connectivity, you should be looking at a Garmin eTrex Legend, in my opinion. The GO2 offers a lot of bang for the buck, but you are stuck with the basemap. You cannot add topographic maps or more detailed street maps. Both the cable that Lowrance sells for the GO2 and the one that comes with the Legend are serial cables.

Edited by msrubble
Any input welcomed.

Besides the advise that the TomTom One is only good for getting you from one parking lot to another, here's a couple:

• Keep borrowing the one from work before you jump in.
  • Go to geocaching events. Folks are generally willing to show off their GPS units. You can get a feel of that you'd like.
  • Google the "West Marine" store nearest you. Make sure West Marine carries the model you want and that store has it in stock. Go back to the internet and find the absolutely lowest price you can find, including shipping, from any retail online store. Print it out and take it with you. West Marine will match the price--including the sales tax. Most likely will be worth the effort.

Of course, these steps are optional. Some have found they like the "feel" of one unit over the other, so being "touchy-feely" is a good thing.

Hope this helps.

Edited by CoyoteRed

We have the iFinder GO (which is exactly like the GO2 except that it's about $25 cheaper because of less marine-related detail, which you probably don't need anyway).

If you're level of caching is enough that you do not need to download waypoints (i.e. you do maybe a couple per weekend or less so that manually entering them is not a bugbear), it's a great unit for the price, good reception and accuracy, etc. But I think the Garmin Etrex does let you download waypoints, some say it's the most popular caching GPS out there, and I can't imagine it would be that if you couldn't download waypoints to it.

Otherwise, what they say here is right.

As for the Tom Tom issue, they are awesome in the car, but very poor (in terms of features) off road. We've written many forum posts on this as well as noted this in an Epinions.com entry for the Tom Tom GO 300. Regarding the otherwise very fine Garmin "combo" units mentioned above, the one drawback is that they will not provide you voice prompts for car navigation.

A now discontinued (but easy to get inexpensively on eBay or on clearance sales) unit that does mostly do both with voice prompts is the Lowrance iWay 100M, which we also have. Again, look at our forum posts on this as well as our Epinions review for details. For a lot more money (about $500-600), you can also look at the new Magellan Crossover model.

Good luck and enjoy!

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa